VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Me and My Big Mouth

User metadata

Hi all and great program.

My question is not specifically DOSBox related but I thought I'd ask it here since what I'm looking for is actually in DOSBox. It's about the modem support in DOSBox. I want to play Master of Orion II (win version) in multiplayer over internet but it only comes with support for that over a now non exist system (WON I think). You can also use a dial up connection but I and that friends I want to play with all have DSL or Cable internet. So my question is, is there a way I can play this game over internet? Specifically is there a windows program that emulates dial up connect like DOSBox does?

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Me and My Big Mouth

Reply 1 of 3, by Dopefish

User metadata

As someone who played a _TON_ of multiplayer MOO2 back in the day (I still consider it one of the greatest games of all time), I'll offer the solution I used (note: this is not DOSBox-specific, and actually I haven't tried it in DOSBox, in case anyone is wondering).

In addition to dial-up and the long-since-defunct WON, MOO2 supports networked play using IPX/SPX. Kali is a service that essentially tunnels IPX/SPX over the internet, so that you can play old LAN games over the Internet. Note that there are two executables for MOO2, a DOS one and a Win95 one--these are incompatible with each other, so everyone in a game must be using the same one (the DOS version works fine under certain versions of Windows, but not all. YMMV). Also note that the Win95 executable has drastically worse performance than the DOS one for multiplayer games.

Now, here's the catch: Kali is not free; last time I checked, you paid a one-time amount of $20, and you get a lifetime membership that you can play any game you want through it. I believe there's a demo version as well, if you want to make sure you can get it to work before paying any money. There's also a small but active community dedicated to playing multiplayer MOO2 games over Kali, who I'm sure would be happy to help you out.

Anyway, here's a couple links to check out if you're interested:
4381's newbie guide
The Kali MOO2 League[/url]