VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DoctorJools

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just installed and run DOSBox 0.74. The default resolution seems to be 640 x 400 pixels but I really need 800 x 600. i.e. 800 x 600 pixels, not just 640 x 400 magnified up. Apologies if this is a simple question, but I've searched high and low and whatever I do I get the original screen but magnified by some amount.

Please see the attachment "One" (at the bottom)

What I really want is for it to look like "Two" (at the top). (Although I've gone for 1280 x 800 here just for emphasis.) I've been trying:

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
fullresolution=desktop
#windowresolution=original
windowresolution=1280x800
#output=surface
output=ddraw
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true

What I ultimately want to do is open and run some rather old VB3 programs I wrote about 20 years ago. I've managed to get that far but the programs assume a resolution of 800 x 600 so, as it currently stands, you only get to see the top left corner of the applications' screens.

Attachments

• DOSBox 2.png
    Filename
    DOSBox 2.png
    File size
    30.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Two
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DOSBox.png
    Filename
    DOSBox.png
    File size
    57.74 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    One
    File license
Last edited by DoctorJools on 2016-11-02, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DoctorJools wrote:

What I ultimately want to do is open and run some rather old VB3 programs I wrote about 20 years ago. I've managed to get that far but the programs assume a resolution of 800 x 600 so, as it currently stands, you only get to see the top left corner of the applications' screens.

I assume you're running these programs in Windows 3.1?

In that case you need to get the S3 Trio 32/64 video drivers for Windows 3.1 and set the resolution to 800x600 in Windows. There's a link to them somewhere on http://www.vogonsdrivers.com

DOSBox will automatically resize the window to accommodate the larger resolution.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 3, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DoctorJools wrote:

The window/fullscreen resolution only applies to non-SVGA modes. If you trigger a SVGA mode (eg 640x480x16bit color, 800x600x32bit color and so forth) dosbox assumes you're not trying to play a VGA-mode (eg 320x200) game.

If your program is DOS, then you're going to need to send a command to switch the video mode. If your program is Windows, you'll need to install the S3 or VESA generic drivers into Win3.1 to get anywhere.

If it's full screen, depending on the scaler/output mode, it will use that instead.

Reply 3 of 3, by DoctorJools

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much everybody. Now works perfectly. You've made an old developer very happy.

Ahhhh ... 1996, VB3 ...

Attachments

• Hitachi 1.png
    Filename
    Hitachi 1.png
    File size
    44.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • MHI 1.png
    Filename