VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 47, by krondalix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:

But what is the result—does it interpolate or blur the image?

I suggest you to use the Scaler "Advanced interpolation" result is good on 4K monitors.

Example using "Advanced interpolation 2X with CRT-geom-curved.fx":
https://image.ibb.co/c0A8Db/image_2018_01_19_10_04_10.png

Example inside a cga game using same settings as above":
https://image.ibb.co/bSXrzG/image_2018_01_19_10_24_51.png

Please open these pictures in 4K resolutions to prevent scanlines imperfections.

You can either use bilinear.fx (no bending and no scanline) or advancedAA.fx is a good choice too.

Reply 41 of 47, by St1llMatt3R

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I don''t mean to necro an old thread, or maybe I should start a new one but I had a very similar question to the OP's.
My folks have a 4k Projector and they like to play old school DOS era games from time to time. My dad asked me the other day about what would be the best way to go about playing an old DOSBOX game (which has FMV cutscenes) on a 4K display, or in this case, a projector. I thought about it, and I honestly wasn't sure. The only drawback that I could think of was that FMV based games might not come through very well, which happen to be the games that they're interested in playing.

Can anybody lend any advice on how to get the best picture in this case?
The games in question are point and click FMV games like The Ripper, Phantasmagoria 1, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, etc

Reply 42 of 47, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
St1llMatt3R wrote:

My folks have a 4k Projector and they like to play old school DOS era games from time to time. My dad asked me the other day about what would be the best way to go about playing an old DOSBOX game (which has FMV cutscenes) on a 4K display, or in this case, a projector. I thought about it, and I honestly wasn't sure. The only drawback that I could think of was that FMV based games might not come through very well, which happen to be the games that they're interested in playing.

Have they tried DOSBox with any settings, and what was the result?

Can anybody lend any advice on how to get the best picture in this case?

With stock DOSBox, I suggest the following settings:

fullresolution=desktop
aspect=true
output=openglnb

The games in question are point and click FMV games like The Ripper, Phantasmagoria 1, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, etc

What is special about FMV? Is it known to work poorly in DOSBox?

Reply 43 of 47, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ant_222 wrote:
With stock DOSBox, I suggest the following settings: […]
Show full quote

With stock DOSBox, I suggest the following settings:

fullresolution=desktop
aspect=true
output=openglnb

I can't say about Ripper, but both Phant and GK2 are both VESA games and do not need aspect correction.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 44 of 47, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

I can't say about Ripper, but both Phant and GK2 are both VESA games and do not need aspect correction.

Then aspect=true won't have any (harful) effect. I suggested what I thought the most universal and safest settings for stock DOSBox.

Reply 46 of 47, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

St1llMatt3R, since FMV games have square pixels and high resolution, another option is to set
output=surface, activate a normal scaler (e.g. normal3x), and use the projector's analog zoom to stretch the image to cover the whole screen.

Reply 47 of 47, by St1llMatt3R

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:

St1llMatt3R, since FMV games have square pixels and high resolution, another option is to set
output=surface, activate a normal scaler (e.g. normal3x), and use the projector's analog zoom to stretch the image to cover the whole screen.

Ok, thanks I will check that out and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for your help .