VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

The Dos-Box works with the original MS-DOS 5.0 keyboard driver.
With this driver foreign keyboard layouts with the numeric block (you can change these key-functions with NUM-key!!) works!
To install this driver only copy the 2 files: KEYB.COM and KEYBOARD.SYS from your old MS-DOS 5.0 diskettes into a mounted folder(e.g. C:\DRIVER).
You can run the driver manually or write the startline in the [autoexec] part of your dosbox.conf file. The line in this case is:
C:\DRIVER\KEYB GR
"GR" stands for the GERMAN keyboard layout. You will have to find out your own keyboard layout initials if you don't want a german keyboard.
Important: If you change the NUM-Functions press the NUM-key 2 times!
Good luck!

Reply 1 of 15, by Alexsource

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You Rock! 😎 😎 I've just tryed it out and now Xargon works well! no more unresponding keys after completing a level 🤣 😁
This was the only game i had problems with the keyboard opcodes thingy. Maybe this will work with a bunch of other stuff as well 😀 . BTW, br stands for british layout, sp for spanish layout 😉 .

chronos.jpg motoakira.jpg

Reply 3 of 15, by Guest

User metadata

I tried this trick with a Danish keyboard but did not succeed. After the command:

Z:\>C:\DRIVER\KEYB DK

The system did not protest. However, the following revealed the problem:

Z:\>C:\DRIVER\KEYB
Current keyboard code: DK code page: 850
Active code page not available from CON device

What more do I need so that it will accept CP850?

Regards,
Erik P. Olsen
erik@epo.dk

Reply 4 of 15, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The codepage has to be loaded before like this:
mode con codepage prepare 850
mode con codepage select 850

I don't know, if you will get mode.com working with dosbox, haven't tried it.

But you can also run keyb with another codepage:
keyb dk,437 this will use the default cp 437.

Reply 5 of 15, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that if you use "mode con cp prep" you need to load display.sys in config.sys (which of course you cannot do within Dosbox!)
Another way to load KEYB would be (assuming that you store the files in c:\drivers)
c:\drivers\keyb uk,,c:\drivers\keyboard.sys
(Obviously exchange the UK for your country code!) 😉

Reply 9 of 15, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@QBIX: Just a comment about dynamically loading devices in DOSBOX: When WD made his first Windows patch for CVS, our XMS driver was not compatible. So it was necessary to switch off our xms driver and load HIMEM.SYS from a Windows installation (he provided a small program DEVICE.COM which he took from some memory manager). It worked.

In general:
a) you can try to load the device driver dynamically, but very probably it will not work (QBIX knows more about insides of DOSBOX than me...). And no, I will not put here DEVICE.COM I mentioned above.
b) You will probably need a CVS build (or wait for a new version) to try it.

Mirek

Reply 10 of 15, by athemis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any idea where to get those files from MS-DOS 5.0?
I personally only own MS-DOS 6.22 and the keyboard drivers from that version of DOS don't work.
I'se searched at least half the web to find these files and would be thankful for any help 😀

Reply 11 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
mirekluza wrote:

@QBIX: Just a comment about dynamically loading devices in DOSBOX: When WD made his first Windows patch for CVS, our XMS driver was not compatible. So it was necessary to switch off our xms driver and load HIMEM.SYS from a Windows installation (he provided a small program DEVICE.COM which he took from some memory manager). It worked.

I didn't commit that part. I still think the structure should be made in a different way then plain writing. (although wd's hard work wasn't that bad. I just felt it wasn't needed at that time) (windows worked with out.)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> I didn't commit that part.

The only thing that was needed was the device driver chain,
it's quite short in the cvs, but there's no need for more.
So loading device drivers (devload, device.com etc.) works,
but as those drivers are pretty low-level, it's not likely
to work as expected (esp. block devices like keyboard.sys).
Himem.sys does work, and so do several other things.

> I personally only own MS-DOS 6.22

Why should the 5.0-drivers be better? The dos-version reported
by dosbox can be changed in the sources/debugger.

wd

Reply 13 of 15, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
wd wrote:

The dos-version reported
by dosbox can be changed in the sources/debugger.

I think it should be configurable in DOSBOX.CONF (not everybody is able to recompile or use debugger). i was told that there is no point in it, since internal DOS structures differer between DOS versions. I still think it could be usefull (my guess is that original DOS utilities are just checking version number in order to decide whether to run or not).

Mirek

Reply 14 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well i think it's useless configfile space cluttering.

I think setver might work with the mcb upgrades lately

I didn't know the device structure was intact. I knew of the basic drivers like the null driver and such were are located in certain tables. The checks for if someone calls them weren't added then ?

I'm getting old 😉

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 15 of 15, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
athemis wrote:

Any idea where to get those files from MS-DOS 5.0?
I personally only own MS-DOS 6.22 and the keyboard drivers from that version of DOS don't work.
I'se searched at least half the web to find these files and would be thankful for any help 😀

Yea, took me forever to find these files as well, although it didn't solve my problem 😖 (was trying to run "Joust VGA")

if you still need these two files, I've put them here.
Feel free to leech.