VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cthulhus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

I would like to play with the game called "Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space" by the internet connetion (emulating modem) but in game, the soft give me a box where I need to enter the phone number ... (so, I can't enter the IP) ...

What is the solution?

Thanks

Reply 3 of 24, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No - Qbix is refering to the next release of DOSBox - v. 0.64.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm that post is allready very old
dailing by ips is allready possible. (without dots) (at least i think it is.)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 24, by Peyre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, basically. I'm using D-Fend 2 as a GUI for DOSBox, and I had D-Fend enable the modem. When that didn't work I think I also manually modified the .conf file--still no go.

I had the same problem in both Win98 and Win2000, both with external USR 56k faxmodems. And yes, both were on at the time. 😉

Reply 8 of 24, by augnober

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If there is phone-number-used-as-ip-address functionality in DOSBox, then my guess would be that it isn't for the null-modem, because null-modem gaming (in my experience) didn't involve any phone number. It was a direct connection between two computers with no switching. This would mean that it would be for the modem. (sorry if I'm wrong -- just guessing)

If may be worth checking the DOSBox wiki for this stuff. Strangely, I'm having trouble finding this support in the latest source code too... (can't think of good enough search strings I guess)

Reply 9 of 24, by Peyre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, that makes sense. I may have misread that part of the readme.

In any case, BARIS yelled at me when I tried to use modem multiplayer--either hosting or joining.

Reply 10 of 24, by Peyre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Funny--I just tried it on a Win98 system that runs BARIS natively (ie, no DOSBox). I pointed it to the correct Com port, and it still gave me the error! Maybe this is a bug in BARIS, not a problem on DOSBox's end.

Attachments

• Modem in BARIS_crop.jpg
    Filename
    Modem in BARIS_crop.jpg
    File size
    19.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 24, by Peyre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uhhh....I'm not sure I follow you. I'm running the latest version of DOSBox (v. .63). And I have the problem even when I'm not running DOSBox at all. 😕

Reply 13 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Click on "CVS Build" in my signature and use Ykhwon's build. v0.63 is the latest OFFICIAL version and was compiled back in late 2004. The one in my signature was compiled this month and has TONS of fixes since 2004.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

huh? It doesn't work when outside of DosBox so you assume the latest ver of DosBox won't work?

Reply 16 of 24, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let me try and stop the confusion: our friend Peyre just tries to say that if it doesn't even work without DOSBox, then there's no way it would with with DOSBox.

Then again, Peyre's screenshot didn't tell us which port "does not exist".

But more importantly, Peyre is the only one here that talks about an actual modem. The rest of the posters talk about DOSBox's infamous fake modem which phone number is actually an IP address (i.e. it turns old games' modem support into TCP/IP [read: Internet] support).

...assuming DOSBox v0.63 does work with dotless IP addresses, as that is what started this whole discussion in the first place!

So Peyre, if it's a fake modem you want, just try running the game through DOSBox and enter your friend's IP address instead of his phone number. Of course, this is assuming he runs the game through DOSBox too and both of your firewalls accept outcoming/incoming connections (the latter at least for the host) from the port that is mentioned in your two DOSBox's configs!

However, if it's a real modem you're after, that's a whole other setting in DOSBox's config. But nothing would work until your modem works successfully in Windows natively! Start by entering its properties and check for its port!

Hope I cleared up the mess...

Reply 17 of 24, by Guest

User metadata

LWC, that's correct--even when I run the game natively in Windows (on a computer that doesn't even have DOSBox installed), I still get the error.

I get the error regardless which Com port (1-4) I select in the game, regardless which I select in DOSBox/D-Fend2, and apparently regardless which physical Com port the modem is on (Com1 on my machines with DOSBox, Com2 on the non-DOSBox computer).

The modems work on all three computers; all three systems are able to dial up to the Internet when our high-speed Internet connection is temporarily down (yep, you guessed it, I have DSL). 😉

The thing is, what I'm actually trying to do is the IP address thing, but I get this error before I'm given a chance to enter a phone number. (I was working with the physical modem & Com port just so I could get to a window that would let me enter the number.)

Is there a place in DOSBox itself where I'm supposed to enter the IP address? Am I missing something? Or am I doomed to failure (drum roll!) with BARIS since it chokes before allowing me to enter the IP?

Reply 18 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmmm, interesting. You say you have a 98 machine. Can you try it from real MS-DOS instead of Windows 9x command prompt?

If it then works under MS-DOS (not 9x command prompt!) then that would be very interesting. I only have a demo version of the game...heh....it actually is a DEMO all it does it show what the game will be like sort of like a movie trailer.