VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Has anyone out there got Syndicate Wars to run properly under dosbox?

If so, what setting did you use?

The game loads properly and works well in the menu areas, but as soon as I start a mission, it slows right down and is almost unplayable.

I've got an AMD 2100 with 1gb of Ram and the only settings in the config file I've altered are listed below

fullscreen=true
cycles=18000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=100

any help would be much appreciated.

By the way, thanks muchly to the Dosbox team, I've had many hours of playing X-COM: The enemy unknown thanks to them, and It's one of my favourite games of all time 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by Guest

User metadata

btw I have read the README.txt and my other details are as follows

Motherboard: Asus (can't remember model)
CPU: as mentioned above AMD 2100 (approx intel p4 1.8ghz)
RAM : 1gb Corsair 3200
Video Card: onboard GForce 4 MX 64mb
Sound Card : onboard NVidia nForce - soundblaster compatible
OS - WinXP
Dosbox Version: 0.61
Steps Taken: I've tried increasing the cycles to see if it made any significant difference, which it didn't. I've also adjusted the slowdown rate from 20 to 100 and whilst this did make a difference to the slowdown i did have in the menu areas of the game, it hasn't altered the problem within the missions.

Reply 2 of 3, by Guest

User metadata

btw I have read the README.txt and my other details are as follows

Motherboard: Asus (can't remember model)
CPU: as mentioned above AMD 2100 (approx intel p4 1.8ghz)
RAM : 1gb Corsair 3200
Video Card: onboard GForce 4 MX 64mb
Sound Card : onboard NVidia nForce - soundblaster compatible
OS - WinXP
Dosbox Version: 0.61
Steps Taken: I've tried increasing the cycles to see if it made any significant difference, which it didn't. I've also adjusted the slowdown rate from 20 to 100 and whilst this did make a difference to the slowdown i did have in the menu areas of the game, it hasn't altered the problem within the missions.

Reply 3 of 3, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a guess, but looking at your CPU, ~1.8GHz isn't gonna be enough to make Syndicate Wars run at a playable speed. SW was one of the last big DOS games and bogged down even my 133MHz back in the day.

My plan is to wait for the next official release, maybe there are some speed improvements and if the kinks are worked out of the dynamic core... we'll see.