VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since DOSBox uses a folder on your real harddrive to be the emulated harddrive, its only real limit is the size of your real harddrive. However, it appears that DOSBox reports a size of of only 256MB to any program that queries the harddrive size. Is there any way to change this? I need it to report a size of at least 1GB for installing Windows 95, 98, or 2000. The Setup.exe program that comes on the Windows installer CD for installing any of those versions of Windows, when run Setup.exe queries DOS, and asks for the size of the harddrive. I need DOSBox to report a size of at least 1GB.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You cannot install either of those on the emulated hdd, you need a disk image, since these OS need to boot in DOSBox .

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

You cannot install either of those on the emulated hdd, you need a disk image, since these OS need to boot in DOSBox .

Ok, but that still didn't answer my question. I just used those OS's installers as examples of software that issues queries for the size of the harddrive. I'm sure there are others that do as well. Can you tell me, how to change the size of harddrive that DOSBox reports to software that makes such queries? If this is not possible presently, it should be a feature that is available in the next version of DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's a question that doesn't need an answer. Apart from OS installer nothing asks for full size of the hdd, only free size is queried and that is a command line feature of DOSBox.
Remember DOSBox is for games.
So, no, DOSBox should not have that ability as there is no need for it. Don't write what features DOSBox should have when you can't even name one game (or even non-game software) that needs it.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html