VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all. I've been using DOSBox to run old games off and on for many years, but I haven't always kept hold of my dos folder with everything installed, and I've never got as far a setting up multiple dosbox.conf files for different games.

Anyways, I've noticed that some commerical releases of DOS games appear to bundle a portable version of DOSBox or something like it with the game, e.g. the original XCOM bought on Steam, and probably a bunch of the releases from GOG. It made me think it would be nice if there were a portable version of DOSBox available that would let me create my own installers for DOS games that haven't had an official rerelease, so I could wrap up disc images and fully installed folders into an installer and not worry about remembering what core emulation or CPU speed to use next time I wanted to play it. I wouldn't be planning to distribute anything.

Is something like this available? Do folks use something else instead? (I've not played with any of the DOSBox frontends yet, for instance.)

Reply 1 of 5, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know of any automated installers, I don't even think such thing is possible, the closest thin to what you are looking for is a frontend like D-Fend Reloaded: D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Other than that, you can always create portable 1-game-per-folder versions manually.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 2 of 5, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Other than that, you can always create portable 1-game-per-folder versions manually.

Can I just copy the DOSBox executable into a game folder to create a portable 1-game version? If so that probably all I'm looking for.

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox is portable by nature. it doesn't need to be installed and you can always point at your own config via command lines. Just drop a cmd file or batch file in the same folder as your dosbox with the appropriate command. Or multiple ones for each game or in the game folders which point at the relative path of dosbox...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
WildW wrote:
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Can I just copy the DOSBox executable into a game folder to create a portable 1-game version? If so that probably all I'm looking for.

and yes that works, too, if there is a dosbox.conf in that folder.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper