VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried to play Lure of the temptress under both Dosbox 0.74 as well as Dosbox SVN r4006 ECE on Core i5 2450M Office Laptop, Win7 x64 pro with Munt.

During the intro, music glitches occasionally at the start. These glitches peak during the crescendo. Output set to surface & cycles set to max. Altering the cycles didn't seem to work too. Under task manager, Dosbox exhibits moderately high cpu usage during the glitching(increases to 15-30%, while normally it stays around 2-4%).

Strangely, not even a single glitch in the same laptop when the game was run in windows safe mode. There were around 30 processes in total and the dosbox cpu usage never crossed 2% during the whole intro. Under windows normal mode, there were around 80 processes, but none with high cpu usage. It is a HP probook 4430S laptop, if it helps. Windows reinstall isn't an option in this office laptop. I could stay with the safe mode, but sometimes it messes up when I get back to normal mode and have to boot with last known good settings to overcome it.

Also no such glitching on my Haswell Pentium desktop with the same dosbox conf in windows normal mode. Sounds beautiful thanks to the great minds behind the MUNT project. Thanks to Yesterplay80 for providing his ECE build to the community too. As my desktop is on temporary TV tuner duty, stuck up with laptop for some time.

Any advice please for zeroing in on the culprit?

edit: Glitches in XCOM UFO Defense too.

Last edited by gandhig on 2017-02-05, 09:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 2 of 2, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stuttering, but not continuous or periodic. Both core and cpu type were auto. Tried cycles from 200 to 3000 in steps of 400 as well as 4000 & 6000 with no positive effect.

Today when I tried the core as dynamic, glitch/stutter considerably reduced but not completely gone. It was mostly present during the crescendo & end but almost gone in the rest of the intro. Thanks collector for pointing in the right direction.

Isn't auto setting suppose to set core as dynamic, if compatible, as per comments in the conf file. Tried the other core settings too, they were much worse than auto. Similarly tried all the cpu types with no improvement.

The dosbox captured avi clip didn't seem to have any glitches/stutters during playback. However when the sound output was recorded by Windows Sound Recorder through stereo mix, it was present during playback, albeit higher than during normal playback due to additional load, I guess.

Contrary to my original post, glitches/stutters in XCOM UFO Defense is very less and not always there. I'm also not sure whether mt-32 emulation is working in it.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain