VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kg816

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have seen mentions of multiple DOSBoxes but I can't find a tutorial on how to run them.
Is there a file on the forum showing how to do it?

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kg816 wrote:

I have seen mentions of multiple DOSBoxes

This could mean a number of things. What exactly have you seen?

Also, please don't use text colors if you don't need to.

Reply 2 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's not a lot of reason to run multiple dosboxes in my opinion. At most, each title in your collection can run with a custom conf file which can then be loaded with a desktop shortcut or batch file.

GOG ships their titles each with a build of dosbox. Is this what you're thinking of?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 9, by kg816

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
kg816 wrote:

I have seen mentions of multiple DOSBoxes

Also, please don't use text colors if you don't need to.

Why offer text colurs if frowned upon.

I have seen references to multiple DOSBoxes on varoius web searches. I use DOSBox to run an old Dos software program to program an amateur radio. It works very well. I have set it up to run this program without the need to enter commands ie: mount etc.
I would like to use DOSBox for other older programs for amateur radio use.
How is it done?

Reply 4 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Create a configuration file with all the virtual hardware options you need and your initial mount commands, etc. Run dosbox specifying that file:

C:\Dosbox\dosbox.exe -conf C:\DosProgs\yaesu\dosbox.conf

Change paths as necessary.

You can include this in a batch file or a shortcut to save typing.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alternatively, if all your programs use the same settings aside from the "autoexec" section, you can create shortcuts or batch files that use the "-c" switch:

dosbox.exe -c "mount c:\dosprogs\whatever" -c "c:" -c "cd somethng" -c "something.exe"

"-c" commands are executed after the "autoexec" section, so your default dosbox.conf will need an empty "autoexec" section if you use this method.

kg816 wrote:

Why offer text colurs if frowned upon.

Removing that feature from the software would probably pose too much difficulty.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kg816 wrote:

Thanks for the interesting replies, One question I have is where does the config file get installed?

You can put them anywhere you like as long as you use the right path with the "-conf" switch.

You can open up the default dosbox.conf using the "DOSBox 0.74 Options" shortcut in your Start menu (and then use File->Save As... to make a copy).

Reply 9 of 9, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kg816 wrote:

I have seen mentions of multiple DOSBoxes but I can't find a tutorial on how to run them.
Is there a file on the forum showing how to do it?

Just start them up. I sometimes run multiple instances. I have cycles optimised for one instance so my system drags a bit with two instances, and there goes my music much of the time, too, but they do work.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko