VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by drdbc54

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running DOSBOX in Windows 10 and my 33 year old pascal program runs perfectly. However, there are 2 icons at the bottom right corner of the screen, a microphone and a "refresh" circle.

DosBox.png
Filename
DosBox.png
File size
9.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What are they for and can I suppress them?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's definitely not a DOSBox thing. You probably have something else running on your computer that is responsible for generating those icons – possibly some sort of speech-to-text software, judging from the microphone.

Also, while it is nice that your 33-year-old Pascal program runs in DOSBox, DOSBox is not really intended for such things. You may want to look into vDosPlus.

Reply 2 of 6, by drdbc54

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's nice to know that the icons aren't from Dosbox, although if anyone can give a hint as to their origins I would appreciate it. Hovering over the icons or right clicking them yields no useful information.

Although I will look into vDosPlus out of curiosity, what's the harm of running my program in DosBox since it works?

Reply 3 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox is intended for running DOS games. Your accounting app may work acceptably for your needs in official DOSBox, but be aware that this forum provides no support for apps if you run into problems. Using an unofficial build of DOSBox, such as Dominus suggests, may work better with certain kinds of apps, particularly those that use file-sharing and/or printing features of DOS.

A Google search for "microphone icon in bottom right of window" turns up pages suggesting that the icons are related to the NVIDIA GeForce Experience and info on how to disable them.

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ripsaw: I didn't suggest anything 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper