VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Taiyoumaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been trying to play this game but every time I go to my crew list or try to recruit a crew member from the bar the game hangs for good. I've done the 4000 cycle limit thing and I read that setting MIDI to UART may help, although it seems to start up just fine with intelligent as well. Is it a CPU type issue? Should I try setting the CPU to normal or simple instead of dynamic? And for that matter what is the difference between these CPU types?

Edit: I found out what the issue was and it's a really weird one. Like a lot of old DOS games it comes with a crapton of EXE's and no documentation as to what they do. I tried running them all initially in the hopes that one of them might be a setup executable (none of them are). The EXEs are: BTECH.exe, MW.exe, MW_MAIN.exe, MW_EGA.exe, MW_TANDY.exe and MW_CPICS.exe

Only MW.exe starts the game while all the other EXEs just show me a dos prompt and don't run anything. All except MW_CPICS.exe shows me the following lines:

MW PICTURE FILER. COPYRIGHT 1988 BY PETER FOKOS
64k ALLOCATED FOR FILE BUFFER.
64k ALLOCATED FOR PIC BUFFER.
64k ALLOCATED FOR DECOMPRESSION BUFFER.

DISK ERROR !
C:\MECHWA~1\_ (this is the line that all the other exes show and stop at when they start up except MW.exe)

Now I noticed besides MW_CPICS.EXE there's a MW_CPICS.BIN file which presumably stands for 'crew pictures' which was exactly what was bugging the game out.

A quick glance at that BIN file before running its associated EXE was that it had ~28KB, but after I run the EXE the file shrinks down to 300 bytes. So it turns out that if you run the MW_CPICS.EXE it will corrupt your MW_CPICS.BIN and cause these freezes within the game. This is very strange and I can't quite understand why it's doing it, why the disk error happens or what the EXE's purpose is anyway. However replacing the BIN file with its untampered version will fix the freezes.