VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.tinmith.net/wayne/blog/2017/06/imm … light-sim-4.htm

I'm a bit of a fan of emulators, so I used DOSBox on Linux to start up Microsoft Flight Simulator version 4 on a big monitor. It is amazing how low-res 640x350 is when displayed on a large 1920x1080 display, although you didn't notice it as much on a 14 inch CRT, which is smaller than many laptops these days. DOSBox supports emulating old analog PC joysticks, so I was able to configure FS4 to use my yoke and throttle. I always wanted to have one of those as a kid as well, and it worked great. While there wasn't much for graphics, it worked with a nice smooth frame rate, and it was pretty cool.

But then I started to think about how even better it would be to run FS4 on all three monitors, just like I'm doing with X-Plane now. In 1989, computers only supported a single small display, and definitely not three of them! The concept of using a cluster of machines was done in expensive commercial simulators even back then, but FS4 didn't support anything like that. FS4 supports the ability to do multiplayer over an RS-232 cable. However, there is no way to set the camera viewpoint to the remote aircraft, so that was not going to be a help in building a cluster. There was nothing else built into FS4 that could support what I wanted, and DOS machines back in 1989 didn't support networking or anything else either. All seemed hopeless with this ancient software.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 2, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I wonder how adaptable this would be to other sims like Red Baron.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers