VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by koverhbarc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I admit that I'm not up to date on my DOSBox as I'm using v0.74, the last official release. However, I have no idea how to sort through the forks created since then; maybe an answer here might help me.

I outlined three problems I had with DOSBox in a thread is the DOS forum, where they were tangential. I'll repeat them here in what I think is the correct forum. The first, inability to use the real PC Speaker to play sounds that are supposed to be played on it, I know will not be fixed and perhaps can't be.

The major video problem is that 320x200 games (almost all games) are not displayed in the correct aspect ratio, but letterboxed. I know my hardware supports 400-line mode, but DOSBox does not use it. I actually have 1600x1200 available which would allow perfect scaling, but DOSBox won't do this, either - though I believe an experimental build has been mentioned that might.

The other one, minor but more irritating, concerns DOSBox setting the wrong refresh rate for 640x480. I initially observed this in non-game applications using 16-color VGA mode, but since replicated it in a game using 256-color VESA mode. In both cases DOSBox sets 70 Hz (!) - it should use either the original VGA 60 Hz, or keep the system default. Either one would work, but forcing 70 Hz causes my monitor to overscan, and of course re-adjusting for this get it wrongly adjusted for everything else. I assume the authors of DOSBox did know that 640x480 is supposed to be 60 Hz, not 70, on a VGA, so why did they use the latter? Can I correct this behavior? No other program have I ever seen set this refresh rate.

Finally, another issue that I don't really know how to quantify is the keyboard response. Even adjusting the configuration, it still feels wrong much of the time, reducing playability for any real-time game.

These might be dumb questions but they're not answered in the manual and FAQ, which I did read. In all these cases NTVDM behaves correctly, as real DOS would, which is one reason I always try to run programs natively instead of resorting to DOSBox. I am interested in getting the best gaming experience and not just in getting them to run, and I would hope some DOSBox developers would feel likewise.

Reply 1 of 1, by koverhbarc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see that editing one's post doesn't bump it, so I'll do so manually (just once). Does anyone have answers for these specific issues, or for the general question at the end? The latter at least should be answered somewhere.