VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chickenpee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just noticed this alarming line about Dosbox 0.74 in this thread:
https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=665

Per user leilei: "dosbox 0.74 does have a nasty cycles bug with recent intel processors"

I've tried to search for info on this but couldn't find any. Is anyone aware of what exactly this cycle bug is, and which Intel processors are affected? (For the record, my i3-6100 is running smooth as silk so far, whether at IBM PC speed or cycles=max)

Reply 2 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeah, setting a (high) limit works though.
I did a long session with a member of the forum, (sending builds and logs to each other) and while I could see the problem clearly happening in the logs, I couldn't 100% figure out why it was happening. Sometimes, the fast intel cpus appear to be capable of doing a lot more work in the same time frame compared to other time frames. (or needing less time for the same amount of work) Which causes the max cycles to jump up.
It's annoying that it doesn't happen on my pc, as that would make fixing it a lot easier.

I can fix it by making the cycle scaling code more conservative when the current cycles are already high (so limit the upscale when the cycles are above 50.000 or so), but ideally I'd like to do a lot more tests on more fast intel processors.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!