VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ludomeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Minor problem with my VisionTek Xtasy 9200 with 256 Megs of DDR memory (it uses the ATI Radeon 9200 chipset) when I run DOSBox: when in window mode DOSBox 0.61 pulls 100% of my CPU usage, making running games impossible. However, when I either put another window (and it can be *any* window, for example notepad, or the DOSBox console window) *in front* of DOSBox running the game in window mode, or *maximize* the window to full screen mode, my CPU usage immediately goes down to normal and I can run the game.

I actually have *2* video cards on my machine (Dell 2300 desktop with a 2 gig Pentium IV, 256 mb of system RAM): the "card" that came with it, which is called an "Intel Integrated Video card" (it's actually a very cheap nVidia card), and the VisionTek-ATI card. When I run the machine on the Intel card, I *don't* have this problem at all. So I know it's the VisionTek card's problem. I of course prefer the VisionTek card, because it has so much more memory (and also has VESA support, which the cheapie nVidia card that came with the computer does *not*).

Any ideas as to a work-around to this problem?

Thanks,

Ludomeister

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try the latest version of sdl.dll (libsdl.org)
and upgrading videocard drivers might help.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by Ludomeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded the latest ATI drivers (ATI calls 'em "Catalysts"), but it didn't seem to help. Didn't think about the SDL.dll library, however, so just downloaded their latest version (dated 2/21/04) and will give it a try this evening. Thanks, Qbix! 😁

Reply 4 of 7, by Ludomeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I figured out how to drop the CPU usage below 100. I had to modify the .conf file so that the render method wasn't surface, but rather overlay. Once I did that Bingo! the windowed version of DOSBox (without a game running in it) went from 100% to about 88%. That was enough for me to load the game, whereupon the load went down to about 20%!!! Then I could just use CTRL-F12 to up the cycles to the point that it was running smoothly (I like to hit about 93 or 94).

Any idea why I needed to do this with my 256 mb ATI card, and not with the skinny Integrated Intel Video (which is really just a cheapie nVidia card)?

Thanks,

Ludo

Reply 7 of 7, by Ludomeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i guess your old card has windows desktop set to 16-bit while ati has 32-bit

so set your desktop with ati to 16-bit too

Thanks, Robertmo, that was it. All I had to do was set the desktop to 16-bit and console mode now worked okay.

Cheers!

Ludo