Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added System Shock CD video :

https://youtu.be/maiYCmCJx2o

Recorded with the laptop as mentioned above. FPS drops a bit while recording, otherwise it's smoother.

It's still smooth in my tablet too, but couldn't record videos in it.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 21 of 24, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Screamer 2 Video : https://youtu.be/tziNQ-iOlXs

Thanks for suggesting this game. In my Dell Inspiron 7559, it's arcadey smooth, without recording at 640x480 x 65k colors. Reminds me of playing the Playstion racing games!

Again, recording video makes the game choppy a bit with audio stuttering. Stopping video recording immediately brings back the gaming to full speed.

Reply 22 of 24, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess you get the idea. To see the smoothness, you'll have to try them on your own machines preferably with newer systems.

I also played Cybermage Darklight Awakening at 640x480, and it's also good. No jerkiness or audio stuttering.

I'm not good at taking and posting videos. So the above video will be my last to showcase how far Dosbox have come in the ability to playing higher res DOS games.

(Unless someone wants me to try other games.)

I'm not an advocate of Dosbox nor it's ambassador (though it may look like so. 😁). Just felt like wanted to update on it, for those who are not comfortable playing SVGA games in Dosbox. Only catch is need a fairly fast and modern system to play it. How modern? I guess you have to experiment that yourself.

I can play these games comfortably from my lowest modern system that I have - Core M (5Y10) Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet. (I didn't play Screamer 2 in it though, since I was not able to record videos in it, and skipped testing on that tablet, and directly used my Inspiron 7559 laptop).

All the other modern systems that I have are improvements over my tablet.

Reply 24 of 24, by koverhbarc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to withdraw my comment about NTVDM being slow and inefficient (though still, of course, faster than DOSBox). It was again the video drivers; with the drivers for my card I get from a new install of XP (and I'm not sure could be obtained any other way) it is fast. I can get about 90% of the speed of pure DOS, about the best that would be possible, and sound emulation doesn't slow that much. Further, Windows games gain too if they are software-rendered, though not to the same extent, and that includes DOSBox itself which is now only 6-7x slower than pure DOS. However, I bet the dynamic core is particularly good on P4 (with SSE2 optimisation) and so the ratio is likely not quite so good on other systems.

It's irritating that it seems I have to choose between the best 3D compatibility and the best 3D performance, but that's to be expected with these proprietary drivers. I don't think anyone cares about 2D performance anymore at the graphics card makers.