VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently tried my hand at playing "Aleshar - The World of Ice" with the latest DOSBox SVN build (as of 7/9/2017), hoping I could play it with GUS support and the 16-bit audio it provides there. Unfortunately, it looks like nothing's changed since .70 - the game still hangs when using GUS.

Is there anyway to get GUS working with Aleshar in DOSBox? If not, are they any known, working alternatives which do support GUS in the game?

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Aleshar apparently wants the GUS on base port 220h regardless of what is configured in the install program. So, set gusbase=220, and also sbtype=none to avoid conflict with the default SB base port.

Reply 2 of 3, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Aleshar apparently wants the GUS on base port 220h regardless of what is configured in the install program. So, set gusbase=220, and also sbtype=none to avoid conflict with the default SB base port.

That did it! It's amazing the jump in music quality with the GUS...though sound seems to remain just as bad.

Also, according to the game's sound card autodetection, GUS needs to be set to the following in a DOSBox config file:

gusbase=220
gusirq=11
gusdma=1

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Only the base port setting seems significant; the driver sets the IRQ and DMA through port writes.

I guess the developer was involved with the demoscene: the name Hypothermia and I just get that vibe from the game.