VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lotus7102

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As the topic goes, can someone help me in linking two dosbox together ?
i wanted to do something like instant messaging using 2 dosbox, one dosbox is with host computer and the other is with the dosbox in virtual box
is it possible?
can someone provide the assembly codes for it if it is possible?
Thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lotus7102 wrote:

something like instant messaging

You are going to have to be much more specific about exactly what you want to do before anyone can tell you whether it is "possible".

The simplest way would effectively work just like any other DOSBox multliplayer session, as long as your VirtualBox network adapter is set up with its own IP address.
DosBox Guide to Multiplayer Games

Then you could start up a DOS communications program (the sort of thing you would use for a BBS, like Terminate or Procomm) in DOSBox on a host machine, and connect to another DOS communications program running in DOSBox in VirtualBox just by typing "atdt[ip address]" on the host machine and then "ata" in VirtualBox. But I have never tried anything like that personally.

Reply 2 of 10, by lotus7102

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

basically what i wanted to do is like
after i use masm command and link command on the program, and when i call the program
it enables me to type a message that will send to another dosbox in the virtualbox (or to another dosbox in other computer)
then the message will appear in another dosbox there
is it possible?

Reply 3 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lotus7102 wrote:

after i use masm command and link command on the program, and when i call the program

Is this a program that you've written yourself and that you're trying to run in DOSBox? DOSBox was never intended to support something that complicated.

it enables me to type a message that will send to another dosbox in the virtualbox (or to another dosbox in other computer)
then the message will appear in another dosbox there
is it possible?

Like I said, if you use the built-in modem emulation, that would be fairly straightforward. I don't know why you would expect masm to have anything to do with it.

Reply 4 of 10, by lotus7102

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah, actually i was on a project to make a program which can let me do instant messaging like the way i say above after i establish the connection
but i have no idea how to write the program
it should not be a long code but i dont know how
can you help me?

Reply 5 of 10, by lotus7102

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for the connection part im having problem, after i configured the dosbox.conf at the serial part to
serial1=modem listenport:23
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled
then i typed serial1 modem (a confirmation box pop up and i allowed it, i read from forum the command prompt line should change to modem but it didnt)
and then i try to type atdt[my ip] it says illegal command
but status window does say Serial 1 : Modem is listening on port 23...

Reply 6 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you need to run a terminal program inside dosbox in order to communicate with the emulated modem. Just like a real PC.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 10, by lotus7102

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

you need to run a terminal program inside dosbox in order to communicate with the emulated modem. Just like a real PC.

ok, now i kinda solve my connection problem (my objective is to connect 2 dosbox basically) with virtual serial port driver
Untitled.png

now i wanted to do something like this
asd.png
its like after i run a written program in assembly language and it allows me to type on one dosbox and appear on the other
can anyone tell me how to write the program using assembly language?

Reply 8 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lotus7102 wrote:

ok, now i kinda solve my connection problem (my objective is to connect 2 dosbox basically) with virtual serial port driver

You do not need a separate virtual serial port driver. The emulated modem in DOSBox takes care of all of that, even when it is running in VirtualBox.

can anyone tell me how to write the program using assembly language?

All you need is a DOS program that can send and receive data from a serial port. People used such programs all the time back in the days when they used modems to connect to bulletin board systems (BBSs). Terminate and Procomm are two popular examples, which I already mentioned.

I do not understand at all why you want to write this in assembly language. If you want to write it in assembly, then you should look up how to write a DOS program that sends and receives data from a serial port. You would write it exactly the same way as you would have written it on a real DOS PC twenty-five years ago.

Reply 9 of 10, by lotus7102

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah, actually im almost there to reach my goal
it is actually the requirement of project which require me to use assembly language to produce something like that
now i just need my program to have a censor function which is whenever i type foul words, it will censor them by replacing foul words with '*'
but i have no idea to do it

Reply 10 of 10, by rlerner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@lotus7102 -- you're better off not creating that.

Censoring information, especially "bad words" is an exercise in futility. Walk into a high school, assuming you've been out for a few years, you'll see they've already invented new "slang".

Furthermore, if you're trying to do the conventional ones (like ass), then what do you do for assassinate? Do you look for a space afterwards so that word words? What if I said "you're an ass.", the period breaks your filter.

How about @$$hole? or a s s?

Point being, word filters will never be worth it. Most sites get around this with active moderation (if they are a child's forum, for example).