VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have trouble with some older games getting the sound to run smoothly on Dosbox 0.74. In my experience smooth sound is never quite easy in Dosbox but often managable, but here I tried about everything, fiddling around with the pre-buffer, blocksize and cycles settings, but no luck

Weirdly, if I find a configuration setting that seems to work after a while, next time I reboot my PC or restart my Dosbox frontend (or just the shortcut for the game without the frontend), the problems
seem to come back, sometimes even worse: The new configuration that finally seemed perfect before seems total crap now. HIgh blocksize, High prebuffer, low blocksize, low prebuffer, faster machine, slower machine, no combination seems to remain to make the sound run smoothly.

I observed that the stuttering of the sound seems to prevalently occur whenever the game wants new sounds to play and load into the ram. So the beginning is often bad and then I can for example run around in already known areas of the game and it works quite fine for some minutes but if I enter a new room, a new speech sample is loaded, the stuttering comes back.

This doesn't mean game-breaking sound problems in all cases, more like one or several micro-dropouts and hiccups some wouldn't bother with, but I'm a bit sensitive with sound.

Two examples of games that are very affected by this seem to be "Darkseed 1" (HD-installed CD/Speech version) and "Biing!" (hd-installed Floppy version). In Darkseed I never seem to be able to find a configuration that works permanently. Biing! is especially bad, because the game loads new sounds every time you move the pointer over a special action section of the game interface. At some high performance settings, it seems fine for a while, but it always comes back.

My laptop is a very mediocre machine, but AFAIK it should be able to run this stuff on Dosbox without further problems: Asus X551ca, Intel HD 4000, i3-3217U 2core @1,80 ghz., Realtek HD audio

Reply 2 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blam666 wrote:

Sorry, I'm wrong here and should have posted this in DOSBOX section. Should I repost it there myself? Or is it moveable somehow?

A mod can move it, if they notice.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

have you tried playing with the output setting ?

It's a bit weird that it is good for a while

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 8, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, Opengl to Surface I tried about everything. The output settings never seemed to change much about the drop-outs/sound problems. I also tried to lower the sound output settings to 22050, without any remarkable changes. The only switches that did something significant seemed to be cycles/core/prebuffer/blocksize.

I used to just set higher pre-buffer ratings in more easily configurable apps & games, but here it seems to increase the "getting worse after a while" problem.

I know that in some GOG "out-of-the-box" dosbox configs the guys play around with higher blocksize (2048) and occasionally very low pre-buffer ratings. That kinda surprised me, but it seemed to work with some games.
I don't know why, though and it didn't work here permanently.

Reply 8 of 8, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks @ Qbix for the help & PM.

What I still wanted to add here is that these glitches appear to be pretty independent from "performance hungriness" of the games.

I (as a complete non-expert) guess Darkseed should be much easier to get going than titles like Blood or Screamer, and still, both of these games run fine on my system. Then again, AFAIR they take their music from CD isos that I mounted within dosbox. But still, the implemented soundblaster effects work fine without any hiccups.

Similar problems I had with "Shadow of the Comet", which also should be much less demanding than these other games.