VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by djgoodyb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone. I had a few questions pertaining to the use of this program. So our office has 32 bit Operating Systems and we are looking to upgrade. The only thing holding us back is this old DOS program that has been used with the company for many years. I followed as many steps as I could in order to get this to work. I even got as far as activating it on my 64 bit operating system. But, when I try to access the files, an error pops on the screen that the content is being viewed on another computer. I know that isn't true and I would like to know if there is anything I need to drag in to the DosBox folder or if there is any programming needed.

We have a server at the front of the office that I can access with my laptop. The program that I am trying to access is in drive "L:\". I programmed the autoexec portion of the DosBox.conf file as follows:

mount l l:\
l:
cd lm
cd prog
cd comp
lm.bat 14

"LM.BAT 14" is the file I need to access in order to turn on my program. And it works. This program utilizes different work stations for each person. Mine is 14. I need to be able to view the content of the program as well as alter it when needed. Is it possible to have DOSBOX do this?? And if so, what am I doing wrong to not even be able to read the files. The shell of the program works.... I can select different options and so on, but as soon as I access a particular file or function, it won't agree with my selection by telling me someone else is already accessing that data.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks,

DJ

Reply 2 of 2, by JosSchaars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The program will try to lock some part of a file. DOSBox doesn’t support record locking, and returns an error condition. The program then just assumes someone else already locked what it tries to get a lock on.

You could try vDos (www.vdos.info), that supports record locking and concurrent file access.