VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VOGPAB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am using both DOSBox 0.74 and the YKHWong's SVN. Up until last month, fullscreen=original worked fine, achieving both of my objectives: 1) To have 4:3 in full screen and 2) To create an effect so that the pixels are not so visible, emulating an old school monitor.

After cleaning the dust in my room, my computer had a couple of issues with the graphic card, with a couple of black screens which forced me to reset. One of these times, I was forced to unplug/plug the monitor again to be able to select my native resolution again (1440x900) in Windows.

But yesterday, when I tried to use DOSBox again, the black borders in both sides of the screen had dissappeared in full screen. After checking a lot of topics, I have managed to find a temporary workaround by selecting 0x0 instead of original in "fullscreen". The problem with this is that, unlike the window mode, the pixels are too visible, I would like to use "original" as the "smoothing" factor is key.

These are my settings now:

[sdl] fullscreen=false fulldouble=true fullresolution=0x0 windowresolution=original output=openglnb autolock=true sensitivity=10 […]
Show full quote

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=0x0
windowresolution=original
output=openglnb
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x

Any idea how to fix this? Many thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 4, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's amusing that, in the two new threads today, one person used his first post here to ask for help in stretching 4:3 to 16:9 and the other person used his first post here to ask for help in preventing stretching 4:3 to 16:9.

Anyways, try fullresolution=desktop. Also, if you actually want smoothing to hide the pixels, then you may want to use output=opengl or output=ddraw. output=openglnb disables bilinear filtering, which is smoothing. In addition, by using a higher resolution (like "desktop"), you're giving a larger canvas to apply the smoothing, so it generally looks better.

Reply 2 of 4, by VOGPAB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much! That solved the problem.

Regarding the forced 16:9, for me it's surprising that this option even exists. Why would someone want to play with deformed graphics? Apparently 90% of the youtubers are not aware that 90s games do not fit in modern screens, which is... interesting. 😵

Reply 3 of 4, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VOGPAB wrote:

Apparently 90% of the youtubers are not aware that 90s games do not fit in modern screens, which is... interesting. 😵

Many people also think that the once popular LCD resolution 1280x1024 is 4:3...

Reply 4 of 4, by MegaShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Osprey wrote:

It's amusing that, in the two new threads today, one person used his first post here to ask for help in stretching 4:3 to 16:9 and the other person used his first post here to ask for help in preventing stretching 4:3 to 16:9.

It was me asking to stretch to 16:9... Makes me just wish there was a simple setting