VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Silver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

Yesterday my Dosbox bricked. I've been running it for a week with no problems. Yesterday I was running Piranha, Dosbox died (as in it just closed both windows with no error messages. Last time the game crashed I did get a looong string of errors in the status window). I then played a bit of Rob Blanc 3 with no problems. Tried Piranha again, but this time I got the following error message:
a9cuNru.png

I ran the setup but it will not give me an option to choose any sound, nor run the game at all, it just does a pc speaker beep when I select it, and stays on the setup screen.
IhOu7Ll.png

The thing is now games that were working fine are now not loading at all.

Rob Blanc 3 which had been working fine 10 minutes before:
kGPEXbn.png

Commander Keen:
cASIZN6.png

Nothing will load anymore -- the only exceptions being the first 2 Rob Blanc games which are running okay.

I've tried resetting the config, changing config according to instructions in the readme under heading "Running a certain game closes DOSBox, crashes with some message or hangs", changing sound to spbro1, setting nosound to true, uninstalling and doing a clean install of both Dosbox and Piranha, rebooting, cleaning my registry with CCleaner, disabling the antivirus, clearing any read-only attributes, running as admin, running from the exe rather than the shortcut, and I'm getting the same errors. Uninstalled and reinstalled again this time in c:\dosbox with games in c:\dosgames, same errors. Windows says my drivers are up-to-date and everything else works fine. I haven't made any system changes. I wondered if it was the last Windows update screwing something up, but then I was able to run two games since then, so I don't think that's it. Just after I played Rob Blanc 3, bam, everything dead. I'm running the latest version 0.74. There are no error messages in the status window.

Is this fixable?

System:
Asus 1225b Windows 7 64bit
Processor AMD C-50 Processor
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics
Gaming graphics 1974 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 11GB Free (100GB Total)
Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics
Total available graphics memory 1974 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 384 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1590 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.863.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, try going to the actual directories and running the executables. Looks like the games cannot find their files.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Hmmm, try going to the actual directories and running the executables. Looks like the games cannot find their files.

This.

Most (all?) DOS games search for their files relative to the current directory, which is the directory you run from, not the directory where the EXE resides.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys