VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SieBoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there DOS loving people,

I was thinking of ways to make my own starting dosbox message and i fund only proper way to do it is changeing command.com. Of course i know i can just do it with echos

[autoexec]
mount c .
C:
cls
@echo off
echo wordswordswordswordswordswordswordswords
pause >nul

but i wanna make it with background colors just like dosbox intro screen. So i saw things on svn's that people can do that indeed, so which files i should edit for that? And is there a program to edit those files?

Also does old visual basics like 6.0(console programs) can run on dos 5.00?

Reply 1 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could create an ANSI message (with all those escape codes) on a .txt file and then put a "type message.txt" line on your [autoexec] section. I've never tried that, but it seems that DOSBox has an ANSI driver embedded so it should work. Check for an ANSI editor to create that file.

About Visual BASIC... I'm afraid that only VB 1.0 had a DOS version. Any other compiler creates Windows programs. There is one extender (HX DOS extender) that may run some Windows console programs, but it won't work with every program.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote:

You could create an ANSI message (with all those escape codes) on a .txt file and then put a "type message.txt" line on your [autoexec] section. I've never tried that, but it seems that DOSBox has an ANSI driver embedded so it should work. Check for an ANSI editor to create that file.

Yep, that's the way to do it (been using that in my own startup menu for ages). You don't even need to type an external file- the escape codes work just fine with echo statements in [autoexec] itself.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 6, by SieBoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all thank all of you,
I actualy reply but when i check again it was deleted, huh weird...(maybe because of i asked is there a program you can suggest to me for asci editing that you realy find useful and easy, i read that we have realy strict moderators here)

Zup wrote:

About Visual BASIC... I'm afraid that only VB 1.0 had a DOS version. Any other compiler creates Windows programs. There is one extender (HX DOS extender) that may run some Windows console programs, but it won't work with every program.

So in the last reply the thing i said was; I used pablo draw to make the ansi file and after that i turn it into a txt file but it gave me the casual "Illegal Command: TEST.TXT" the text file was this when i opened it with notpad++

[0;40;37m같같같같같?[34m같같같같같같[1;32m같같같같[0;36m같같같같같같같같같?[1;31m같같같?[33m같같?[0;33m같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같?[31m같같같같같같같?[1m같같같같같[32m같같같같같같같[33m같같같같같같[37m같같같같[0;42;30m?[46m같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같[5m같같같같같같?[45m같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같[46m같같같같같같같?[42m같같같같같같같같?[44m같같같같같같같같?[40m같같같같같같?[0;44;30m같같같같같같[46m같SAUCE00                                                                           20170904?  P       IBM VGA               

Did i do something wrong again?

Also thanks for VB1 it would do greatly.

VileRancour wrote:
Zup wrote:

Yep, that's the way to do it (been using that in my own startup menu for ages). You don't even need to type an external file- the escape codes work just fine with echo statements in [autoexec] itself.

Can you show me your startup ansi file? It would be realy helpful.

Qbix wrote:

create a language file (config -writelang) and edit/use it.

Could you explain it to me a litte bit more?

Reply 5 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SieBoi wrote:

So in the last reply the thing i said was; I used pablo draw to make the ansi file and after that i turn it into a txt file but it gave me the casual "Illegal Command: TEST.TXT"

The command should be "type test.txt". You can try it on DOSBox prompt before putting it on your [autoexec].

SieBoi wrote:

the text file was this when i opened it with notpad++

Before some of that "[" symbols, there are a special non printable character (escape, 0x1B). Maybe Notepad++ can't show it properly, but if you open it with a hex editor you'll see them fine.

I've tested it on DOSBox and (although it doesn't show properly on screen, I guess that copy-paste didn't work) you can see some changes of attributes on screen.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 6, by SieBoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote:
The command should be "type test.txt". You can try it on DOSBox prompt before putting it on your [autoexec]. […]
Show full quote
SieBoi wrote:

So in the last reply the thing i said was; I used pablo draw to make the ansi file and after that i turn it into a txt file but it gave me the casual "Illegal Command: TEST.TXT"

The command should be "type test.txt". You can try it on DOSBox prompt before putting it on your [autoexec].

SieBoi wrote:

the text file was this when i opened it with notpad++

Before some of that "[" symbols, there are a special non printable character (escape, 0x1B). Maybe Notepad++ can't show it properly, but if you open it with a hex editor you'll see them fine.

I've tested it on DOSBox and (although it doesn't show properly on screen, I guess that copy-paste didn't work) you can see some changes of attributes on screen.

DERP! I hate myself ahahahahah thank you! i forgot to type "type" for some reason. Tho its flickering i think i messed something up again but i think i can handle this one myself thank you very much!
ipcsUxJ.gif