VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GB022621

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been running Dosbox 0.74 on Windows and Mac for years. I have just been reading the MacOS High Sierra Feature changes and one states that High Sierra will "will no longer support 32-bit apps". Two Questions.....
1. Has anyone tried DosBox on MacOS High Sierra and if so.... does it work?
2. If it doesn't work, is there a way of easily compiling a 64bit version. (nothing too complicated please, I have only used the downloadable version so far. 😊 )
Any help gratefully received....

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't keep track of Mac stuff but I thought that was just for the app store.

The official version of DOSBox isn't supported in any app store so it's not a problem.

Future versions of MacOS will supposedly drop 32bit support. Seems like that would be a good time to drop MacOS if so, imo.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1st it‘s not true that High Sierra drops 32bit support, there might be a hurdle or a warning displayed, though.
2nd it‘s easy to compile a 64bit build of DOSBox (actually easier than building a 32bit build) but it doesn’t make sense as that is very much slower than a 32bit build on OS X.
3rd High Sierra will not be released before next tuesday and I‘m reluctant to update since submitting apps to the app store can sometimes be problematic if you do it from a beta MacOS.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 5, by GB022621

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks DosFreak and Dominus. I did wonder whether it might just be App Store support they meant, and I agree about Beta so was reluctant to try it myself. I may well set up a test disk to try it myself next week.... and will report back.... watch this space....

Reply 4 of 5, by GB022621

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As promised, I have built a new MacOS disk and tested DosBox and it works fine for me in MacOS High Sierra Beta.
I first built Sierra onto a new disk, loaded DosBox 0.74-1 and set up my DOS program which was an old Dos Banking program I bought in 1992 called Page Cheque Book (PCB)..... I then upgraded to MacOS High Sierra Beta and tested PCB again ... it all worked just the same.
Note: I have not tested a new installation of PCB on MacOS High Sierra Beta but would assume there would be no difference....
Hope this helps....

Reply 5 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

thanks, I can also confirm that it runs fine on High Sierra, both the 0.74-1 and SVN built by me.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper