VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regarding just DOSBox emulation and only sound effects and digitalized speech. MIDI is of no concern.
Emulation accuracy is important if you may. So for example if Pro 16 has more quality sounds but is not
as accurate as plain SB regarding emulation, then I'd lean towards SB despite it being less epic sounding.

I've only just realized Pro 16 is supported... up until now I've been using SB/SB16 whenever the game setup allowed it.
In my recent finding Pro 16 has VERY slightly more natural digi speech than SB. But I wouldn't bet on it, could be placebo.

What you guys say, any ideas/thoughts? Doesn't have to be in-depth, the simpler the better please 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's no such thing as a SB Pro 16. There was the SB Pro 2 and then there was the SB 16. Occasionally, a game may list "SB Pro 16" as an option in its setup program, but that usually means "select this if you have a Pro or a 16." I don't know why High Seas Trader lists that option even though it has separate Pro options. It's probably an error.

Reply 2 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Osprey wrote:

Occasionally, a game may list "SB Pro 16" as an option in its setup program, but that usually means "select this if you have a Pro or a 16."

Which is crazy, as SB 16 cards are pretty much incompatible with the SB Pro 2 interface.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Osprey wrote:

There's no such thing as a SB Pro 16

SSI games believe otherwise <=|

Attachments

• sound_000.png
    Filename
    sound_000.png
    File size
    2.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay. Good luck finding one. Keep your eyes open for a SB Pro III while you're at it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 12, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Okay. Good luck finding one. Keep your eyes open for a SB Pro III while you're at it.

Take off you hoser!

I'm 99% sure that the "Sound Blaster Pro III" was an alternative option for the SB pro II driver if it wasn't working, you would find the same driver in the game folder with some minor difference.
Sound Blaster 16 was Pro compatible in terms of OPL3.. Software for the Pro was advertised to work. So that probably explains the sb pro 16 😲.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 6 of 12, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It just means if you had an 'sb pro' compatible card, you'd try option 1, if your compatability was shit and option 1 didnt work, youd drop to 'sb pro ii', then if that didnt work youd try 'sb pro iii'.

there were varying degree's of compatability from the clone makers.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 7 of 12, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Explains why I couldn't find any Pro 16 spec's online in attempt to come to my own conclusion before making this topic.

Appreciate all the input y'all.
Going with what Osprey said, it's what I'd hoped to hear anyway. Different names for basically same end result.
Good job again mister, Thank you once again! (btw, how you block a stalker here? JUST KIDDIN 🤣) Keep em comin!

P.S.
Lol @ that SSI setup... knowing me I chose J but will have to change to F. fml

Last edited by Nilex on 2017-09-15, 20:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dark Sun - Wake of the Ravager, info from SOUND.INI:

Sound Blaster Regular
Digital Driver: sbfm.adv
Digital Driver: sbdig.adv

Sound Blaster Pro I
Midi Driver: sbp1fm.adv
Digital Driver: sbpdig.adv

Sound Blaster Pro II
Midi Driver: sbp2fm.adv

Sound Blaster Pro III

Sound Blaster 16 ASP

The options: Sound Blaster Pro II, Sound Blaster Pro III, Sound Blaster 16 ASP are the same: Sound Blaster Pro digi at 8-bit 11kHz or 22kHz + OPL3 FM Music. There is no technical difference in how the game or Miles drivers handle these three cards.
(PS: a real SB16 would not be able to do stereo in SBpro mode. DosBox SB16 emulation does not have this bug though)

Similar topic here: Sound Blaster Pro III?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 12, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For what it's worth, and while bearing no relation to the aforementioned driver namesakes, the largely unknown Creative/Tandy Multimedia Audio Adapter is referred to as an "SBP16," or "Sound Blaster Pro 16," in Creative's own Windows drivers. Unlike a standard SBPro, this particular card supports native 16-bit, 44.1kHz (mono) playback in Windows.

sbptd_s.jpg

Reply 10 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting photo! Never heard of this before. Not sure what these three silver connectors are for, at the slot bracket.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't see any CT number on that card, as is the norm on normal Creative cards. And some of the chips labelling look like enhanced text overlays.

At first I thought it was a fake photoshopped card, especially seeing a different darker PCB on the left third of the card. (And the difference in the text white intensity of the Creative Technology.... at the bottom.) 😉

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 12, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

At first I thought it was a fake photoshopped card...

I can't fault you for thinking that, as the card is virtually unknown. I'd posted about it in greater detail a few years back:
Re: Creative/Tandy Multimedia Audio Adapter, 849-3030