VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by caltrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to swap the Mouse Buttons?

I have not found any way to do this.

I use a Left-Handed Mouse, always have, and have had no issues swapping the buttons all the way back to the real DOS.

Reply 2 of 6, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're on Windows, you can use AutoHotkey to reverse the buttons.

1. Extract AutoHotkeyU32.exe to the folder where your dosbox.exe is.
2. Create a text file named AutoHotkeyU32.ahk in the same folder with the following contents:

#SingleInstance Force
SetTitleMatchMode 2
SendMode Event

#If WinActive("DOSBox")
{
lbutton::send {rbutton}
rbutton::send {lbutton}
}

3. Create a batch file in the same folder with the following contents:

@echo off
start AutoHotkeyU32.exe
DOSBox.exe [path-to-game] -noconsole -exit
taskkill /IM AutoHotkeyU32.exe

4. Run the batch file to start DOSBox.

The batch file is optional. I just find it convenient so that I don't need to remember to start AutoHotkey and it isn't left running when DOSBox exits. If you don't want to use a batch file, especially not create one for every game, you could simply start AutoHotkeyU32.exe with Windows and leave it running in the tray all of the time, doing nothing until DOSBox is launched. Also, you can name the script something other than AutoHotkeyU32.ahk, but then you'd need to supply that name as a parameter when you run AutoHotkeyU32.exe (i.e. "start AutoHotkeyU32.exe MyScript.ahk").

Reply 4 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are TSR programs, such as MSWAP, that you can run inside DOSBox to swap mouse buttons. Alternatively, running the CuteMouse 1.9 mouse driver in DOSBox with its /L command line switch is possibly more reliable than the former option. In Windows 3, which has its own mouse driver, I believe you can switch buttons in a control panel setting.

Reply 6 of 6, by caltrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been away for a while. Many other things to do...

I'll give MSWAP a try.

That link to another post was no use.
DOSBox does what it wants regardless of what the window state is.

I'm NOT touching anything SOURCEFORGE!!!
I used to do them a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. But NOT now!
Something from GitHub is OK.

Sad that DOSBox does not respect the system settings for us Left-Handed Mousers.