Common searches

path problems

Topic actions

First post, by daysleeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi to all,
i'm trying to use dosbox with a dos program used on retail environment and the issue is the following(i have already checked various online help without success):
the software must run on a specific folder (c:\ugalaxy\*.exe) but the issue is that i need to access all the c:\ drive and other network drives at the same time, when i create the shortcut the dosbox launch the exe, but it change the mounting of c:\ with the c:\ugalaxy and the software cannot access other folders.
Is possible to create a shortcut without modifying the mounting?

Reply 1 of 6, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you are doing what I think you are doing (trying to run a live retail system inside a VM) then I strongly recommend you use something like VirtualBox instead of dosbox which would be much better suited to your needs.

Reply 2 of 6, by daysleeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the problem is that i need to launch dos apps in windows environment, because the dos apps and windows apps must interact.
if i create a separate environment like a virtual machine i can't use it with windows apps.
If i can launch with shortcuts and without changing the mounting i have solved the issue.

Reply 4 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try vDosPlus, which is based on DOSBox, but is much better suited for applications. http://www.vdosplus.org/

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 6, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're providing a path to the executable in your DOSBox shortcut (ex. "DOSBox.exe" <path_to_app>\MyApp.exe), DOSBox will automatically mount the <path_to_app> folder as the C drive, so you can't do that in your situation. Instead of that, add the command to run the program in the [Autoexec] section of dosbox.conf, after your mount command(s).

As for accessing network shares, I'm not sure if DOSBox supports that (maybe an SVN build does), but what might work is mapping those network shares as drive letters in Windows and then mounting those drive letters in DOSBox (ex. map \\SERVER1\FILES to N: in Windows, then do "mount N N:\" in DOSBox).

Reply 6 of 6, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am not currently aware of a DOSBox version that will access network shares directly. However, vDosPlus does support for this. For example, you can do either of the following in vDosPlus:

DIR \\SERVER1\FILES

Or:

USE E: \\SERVER1\FILES
DIR E:

The latter approach is preferred for DOS programs that do not support network paths.

Hope this helps.

Wengier