VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone help with a completely baffling problem. This occurs with every copy or version of DOSBox that I can find (including stock) DOSBox, under Windows 7 - but it does NOT occur in DOSBox when I boot Windows 7 in safe mode, and it does NOT occur on the same machine when I dual-boot to Windows 10.

When I run DOSBox, these keys (on a US keyboard) produce the wrong characters:

The } and ] key produces nothing.
The | and \ key produces } and \
The + and + key produces nothing.
The ' and " key produces nothing.

This occurs with every copy of DOSBox on my disk, and it occurs if I delete the default configuration file. And it occurs with custom configuration files.

It occurs with every keyboard I plug into the system.

But it does NOT occur when I boot the same hardware into Windows 10, or when I boot the same Windows 7 system into safe mode.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

checked this stickied thread ?
Right-Shift / Backslash Keyboard Problems (SOLVED!)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That was fast! Thank you!

The keyboard setting in Control Panel wasn't the problem, but the problem was solved by going to System, Advanced System Settings, Advanced, Environment Variables and creating the System Variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER with the value windib

Why this problem suddenly occurred is a mystery which may never be solved.

Thank you again for that instant solution. I was getting ready to start solving it by tearing my hair out.

Reply 3 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Switching to windib is a sub-optimal solution, though, as it affects more than input (SDL_VIDEODRIVER). The underlying problem is an installed keyboard driver you probably don't need. See the parts of the linked thread regarding the MCIR 106/109 driver.

Reply 4 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, exactly as you say. The real solution turns out to be in the registry. I removed the SDL_VIDEODRIVER variable from the system Environment Variables, then applied the US keyboard settings listed on this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/927824/

Then restarted the system, and the problem was solved.

Thanks again to everyone who sorted this out. Next time I'll know to search a bit more intelligently (I hope).