VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by legluondunet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I installed WIndows 3.1 with Dosbox 0.74, it works great!
I installed it to play my old Windows games (Bad Mojo, Phantasmagoria and Jewels of the Oracle).
This work well, only one thing: the games cinematics does not render well in 256 colors, cinematics of this games are recorded in more than 256 colors, 16,7 millions I think (or 24 bits?).
But If I change the color depth of Windows resolution, the Dosbox scaler does not work.
The Dosbox scaler works only when Windows is in 256 colors ( I tested all others possibilities, with or without S3 drivers, even Display Doctor).
So for the moment I have the choice between play my games in 256 color but in fullscreen (not a bad choice) or in 16bits in a tiny window (no thanks).
I read in this discussion (comment by arromdee3 » 20-5-2011 @ 07:16 am) someone had the same problem as me:
Re: Windows 3.1 in 256 colours
Do you know is there is a workaround for this problem?
Thanks.

Last edited by legluondunet on 2017-10-20, 05:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can compile your own build, apply the fix detailed here: https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/bugs/385/

This is something that IMO really should be fixed in mainline DOSBox. Even if you ignore Windows, there are a number of DOS games that use more than 256 colours that are affected by this bug.