VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, I recently got in contact with dosbox again, because I have upgraded to a powerfull machine (P4-3Ghz).
I did some experiments before, but because they were done on low-end machines (PII-233/300) PIII-600
they were not satisfying.

I am currently thinking about this:

1. Is it possible to "route" dosbox-content to another monitor?
2. I it possible to change the config while running dosbox on the fly via batch file?

- Using a VGA Monitor-Switch should be the easiest way to do this, but this must be done very carefull while running win2k in 1024x768 and the second monitor is a 13" IBM VGA Color CRT.
- Using a seconday PCI-Gfx card like an S3 should do nothing better because it is not needed due to emulation per software on the main-gfx card?

- Starting up Dosbox in Fullscreen with NortonCommander/VolkovCommander and starting batchfiles that do cyceling the cpu- up/down for the range of XT->Pentium, perhaps switching to Tandy mode as well?

What are you thinking about that?

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBox questions should be asked in the DOSBox forum. The people best able to answer may not follow this forum. DOSBox

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 4, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:
Hi, I recently got in contact with dosbox again, because I have upgraded to a powerfull machine (P4-3Ghz). I did some experiment […]
Show full quote

Hi, I recently got in contact with dosbox again, because I have upgraded to a powerfull machine (P4-3Ghz).
I did some experiments before, but because they were done on low-end machines (PII-233/300) PIII-600
they were not satisfying.

I am currently thinking about this:

1. Is it possible to "route" dosbox-content to another monitor?
2. I it possible to change the config while running dosbox on the fly via batch file?

- Using a VGA Monitor-Switch should be the easiest way to do this, but this must be done very carefull while running win2k in 1024x768 and the second monitor is a 13" IBM VGA Color CRT.
- Using a seconday PCI-Gfx card like an S3 should do nothing better because it is not needed due to emulation per software on the main-gfx card?

- Starting up Dosbox in Fullscreen with NortonCommander/VolkovCommander and starting batchfiles that do cyceling the cpu- up/down for the range of XT->Pentium, perhaps switching to Tandy mode as well?

What are you thinking about that?

Thx
Doc

1. Not directly. Basically what you do right now is open DOSBOX on a second monitor and full screen it there, your other monitors will typically behave. Dual monitor support has existed since Windows 98, though it was not wonderful. I'm not sure if you can do this mixed full screen trick on anything before Windows Vista however. It doesn't matter if it's a second physical GPU or not, but good luck trying to drive different screens at different refresh rates.

2. You're better off switching the entire configuration and restarting dosbox. You can cycle-up/down while dosbox is running but that will not reinitialize the "tandy machine" as there's a little more to it. DOSBOX will typically handle resolution changes correctly as long as the machine or CPU type aren't changed.