VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Audio in all games using sound blaster is regularly interrupted. It plays, stops for a fraction of second, and then plays again. I have Windows XP and Sound Blaster Live. What can I do to fix it? 🙁

Reply 1 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Lower number of cycles or increase frameskip etc. When you get with cycles too high for your computer, the sound will stutter. There is not enough power left to play sound properly.
It can be also caused by using non USB joystick. Read Dosbox Guides forum.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

The problem with this is:
The Game runs slower. I can have good sound in Ascendancy, but then it runs slower on my 2.8GHz than on my 60MHz.
Ok in Ascend speed is not necessary; but in MAX it is. Ander it gets even worse...
Is this just a try-and-error thing till you got the best setup for your machine?

Reply 4 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, it is absolutely a trial-and-error thing 😀
A trick is to watch your CPU usage in Task Manager while you increase the number of cycles in DOSBox, and then edge it back a few percent once it reaches 100% usage.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 5, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep just trial and error.
Also if you want. this is also try and error, you may see if changing core=normal to core=dynamic gives you a better speed boost.
Also if you're really daring you may want to try DOSBox CVS linked at http://rdu.dk/forum
If none of the above work, then it's something else and eventually (hopefully) some kind of improvement will be made to DOSBox to fix that issue.

/Ieremiou

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.