VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Some Dos games, like Quake and Grand Theft Auto, do have support for 3D hardware. It would seem rather redundant and too performance consuming to emulate the look of 3D hardware effects in software. (This is not the same as using the software 3D engine.) If Dosbox ever (not in the near future I imagine) supports the 3D accelerated modes of these games, will it use something like a Glide wrapper or the 3D card's native GL support (if supported by the game) to support 3D acceleration in DosBox?

Reply 1 of 15, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would very much like to see a Voodoo emulation in DOSBox for the DOS Glide games. However, it's very far into the DOSBox development. We will probably not see something like that within the next 2 years, if ever. They could take the Glide emulation written for MAME by Aaron Giles (with his permission of course).

Reply 5 of 15, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Consider just how many games this request actually covers and then consider the man hours to provide such a facility.

Quake has got a great Win32 OpenGL wrapper so why exactly do you want to run the DOS version (apart from a different platform...). Not sure about GTA but didn't that come with a Windows game as well?

You guys are almost asking for DOSBox to become a replacement for something like Virtual PC but of course cross platform and runs everything you can think of 🤐

Reply 6 of 15, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I would certainly say that accelleration should be an essential addition at some stage, but not anytime soon. Though 99.9% of dos games that have accelleration work in windows, im sure there are a few that dont. Which is where dosbox would come in when that day comes.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 7 of 15, by Maal656

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Reckless wrote:

Not sure about GTA but didn't that come with a Windows game as well?

The game GTA has become freeware and can be downloaded from the Rockstar Games page: http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/gta.htm

This is not the "original" game. Instead it has been updated so it runs perfectly on new systems.

Reply 8 of 15, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I personally can't stand the mentality of 'the game also works in windows so drop the idea of getting Dos Box to be compatible' That poisons the idea for us adventurous linux users, after all. 😀 WINE is an alright thing, but I still am hardpressed to find even an old game that works 100% perfectly with it on my systems. Amazingly enough, a reletively recent game (Master of Orion III) works rather well in WINE, but I still have a few issues with it.

I completely agree that a Glide/OpenGL compatibility piece for Dos Box should be very, very, very low on the priority list, it should not be that low on the list simply because "Those Games work on Windows"

Reply 9 of 15, by little

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why re-invent the wheel? There is a very nice glide wrapper for windows called zeckensack's Glide wrapper, wouldn't it be posible for DosBOX to forward to said wrapper all the glide calls made by dos games? I mean, DOSBox already intercepts the calls for XMS and EMS. Why write a glide wrapper from scratch when there is already one that does the work rather well?
The disadvantage is that the wrapper obviously runs under windows (since none of the games were ported to linux). But this wrapper is written in C/C++ and NASM so it can be ported to run in x86 linux.

Reply 10 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

wouldn't it be posible for DosBOX to forward to said wrapper all the glide calls made by dos games?

I have no idea what I am talking about ... but I think the big problem here is recognizing those Glide calls. Once the DOSBox runtime system knows it is dealing with a Glide call, it might indeed be possible to forward the calls to an (outside) Windows driver.

I will stop now, before more of my foot gets firmly locked in my mouth.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2004-07-01, 17:39. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 15, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

a) DOSBOX is very demanding on processor speed.
b) Games using 3D apparead at the time where Pentias were around.
Imagine having a game which required e.g. Pentium 100 running together with Glide emulator (af course I expect that it would use 3D card).
Before 10 Ghz processors become normal, it would be just technical demontration of principle (but it would not be playable).

Mirek

Reply 13 of 15, by little

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:
a) DOSBOX is very demanding on processor speed. b) Games using 3D apparead at the time where Pentias were around. Imagine having […]
Show full quote

a) DOSBOX is very demanding on processor speed.
b) Games using 3D apparead at the time where Pentias were around.
Imagine having a game which required e.g. Pentium 100 running together with Glide emulator (af course I expect that it would use 3D card).
Before 10 Ghz processors become normal, it would be just technical demontration of principle (but it would not be playable).

I agree that emulating 100-200 Mhz cpus would be a drag, is there any chance that in the near future dosbox adds x86 dinamic recompilation? Most of those games ran on 16 mb or less, so I think it would be quite feasible, no?

Reply 15 of 15, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*nods to above post* It is good to note everything is running either much faster (for the most) and smoother in all cores (normal and dynamic for sure.) Doesn't mean it works prefectly yet though...

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.