VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by blitz67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried over and over and over to get dosbox to work, but I have not had any luck. I am running windows 7. Every time I try to mount c I keep getting a message back stating that the drive or directory is not available. ( something to that verbiage ). Basically I can not mount C drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have a bunch of old sierra games I am wanting to break out of the old vaults.

Thanks so much,

Wayne

Reply 1 of 8, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Create a folder somewhere, for example, in the root of the REAL C: drive. Call it "zoidberg", why not?

mount c: c:\zoidberg

I created a folder named C:\dosbox\zoidberg\zoid\berg\whynot\bite\my\shiny\metal\daffodil\clamps\bender\fry\nibbler

mount l: c:\dosbox\zoidberg\zoid\berg\whynot\bite\my\shiny\metal\daffodil\clamps\bender\fry\nibbler

and it works:
zoidbergwhynot.jpg
Of course, if the folder doesn't exist, it'll fail (you can see that in the screenshot).

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 2 of 8, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way, you posted in the DOS forum, not the DOSBox forum. The DOSBox forum is here: DOSBox

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 4 of 8, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:
I thought the command was […]
Show full quote

I thought the command was

mount c <the_path>

without the colon on the first c.

With or without. Either way works in DOSBox 0.74. It's right there in the image I posted.

It's also best to qualify the path, using the \ or even the drive letters. Obviously, if you have a folder with the same name on two different drives, use the fully-qualified path to be sure you're pointing to the right folder.

It also understands relative paths

dosboxmounting.jpg

Reply 5 of 8, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also mount your entire C: (or any other drive) as a drive in DOSBox, but it's not recommended. It will warn you that it's not, but will still allow it.

mountingcnotrecommended.jpg

Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 8 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also have a look at the 60 second guide. 60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers