VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Hugh K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know. DOSbox ain't for office work but for games. So please don't remind me of that. I have used DOSbox for many years on several Windows machines including Windows 10 without the slightest hitch. But I bought a new Dell desktop (yes, it has a parallel printer port) in January 2018 and this time I can't get my database/word-processor to print to the parallel printer port LPT1.

The DOSbox installations that I did in the past all went off without a hitch. This time I'm having trouble printing to LPT1. I want to print from Q&A for DOS, the old database/word processor by Symantec.

Here is what I did:

I downloaded DOSbox SVN-lf from https://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox-svn-lfn/
Then I unzipped the file into a dedicated directory on drive C:
Then I added the following printer configuration to the end of the configuration file:

mount c c:\data\
c:
parallel1=file dev:lpt1
qados50\qa1.exe
exit

The DOS program runs fine but I cannot print to my parallel printer. The above mounting command have always worked in the past on my other computers but this time I always get the message "Waiting for Printer".

Question 1: Is it OK to have all the DOSbox files in one directory? If not, where should they be?
Question 2: Am I mounting the program incorrectly?

Reply 1 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Sure, although that might be confusing for yourself, and you might have conflicting file names depending on what software you have.
2. No.

DOSBox authors can confirm this, but I believe the parallel port patch is included with Megabuild and the LFN build, but not with vanilla SVN. You'd be well served, I think, by tracking down the authors of those forks or the patch author for further help.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just did a quick look, and it seems Wengier Wu is on our little forum.
Wengier

I'm not sure if he's who you want to talk to, but he'll likely know for sure. Might be worth giving him a PM.

Reply 6 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

You might also look into vDosPlus. http://www.vdosplus.org/

That's why I mentioned Wengier. He maintains DOSBox LFN and vDosPlus.