VOGONS

Common searches

Drive Support

Topic actions

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi. I got a couple of questions on drive support for DOSBOX.

1.) Besides mounting a CD-ROM and Floppy drive in the conf file as such:

mount d d:\
mount a a:\

is there anything else that needs to be done to get games to work from those devices?

2.) Is DOSBOX compatible with external USB floppy drives?

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Srecko: I am sure you haven't checked how it works by added it to your autoexec section before asking 😉

Other thing is using real floppies is slow and rarely necessery. Mounting d:\floppy is way faster and more convinient.

A person will still have to know how to mount hdd and cd. (will have to read readme for other things too)

Reply 7 of 10, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My thought was: if anyone wants to mount drive at mount points a: or b:,
dosbox should automatically add "-t floppy" (unless if explicitely overriidden by commald line parameters).
Those drive letters were only used as floppy drives (AFAIK).

CD-s unfortunately don't have preferred drive letter and hard drives are default mount option 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well CDDrives ALWAYs came after the HardDrive letter partitioning. Always. (Still do btw) And I've being noticing in some games that I've played Drive recognizition is not always working. Like It lists all drives from A: to Z: as if they all were working instead of the drives that are mounted. I remember having to set in my Autoexec? or Config? When I used to use DOS, I remember (something like this) SET LASTDRIVELETTER=H but I never understood fully why I needed to set this.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 9 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@priestlyboy, I think it was just SET LASTDRIVE=xxxxx, and I think it was just a way to reduce the memory footprint of some internal DOS table.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions