VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by owyn_merrilin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like the title says, I'm wondering if there's any SVN builds aside from Daum which already have support for CRT shaders, and preferably D3D support so I can continue using my existing setup without having to track down OpenGL equivalents for everything. I was using Daum pretty happily, but apparently a recent Windows update broke the version of SDL it uses in a way that causes the mouse cursor to jump all over the place, and because of the way it was compiled, I can't just override it by putting a fixed SDL.dll in the folder with the executable. I guess I could, and eventually should, just start compiling it myself, but I'm busy with classes right now and it's going to be months before I have the time to learn the toolchain, pick out my patches, and do whatever debugging needs to be done to get them working together and with recent builds, so I'd rather not have to worry about it. Besides, the average person using these features of Daum doesn't have the background, so if there's another build that does it, it would be nice to start spreading the word.

I did notice that an older version of the ECE build has shader support, but it's OpenGL only, doesn't come with an OpenGL version of the shader I was using (which is just CRTgeom, nothing particularly fancy or uncommon), is based on an outdated version of DosBox that won't be updated in the future, and I wasn't getting the shaders to work, anyway. I'm sure I could get the shaders working if I spent some more time with it, but since the maintainer has decided to focus on clean upscaling in a way that prevents him from supporting shaders, it's only a matter of time before something breaks this build, too.

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a Retroarch core, but be warned it doesn't have the capability to use max cycles and it's a bit hard to work with.

You could use guilokza's d3d patch and apply it to svn dosbox yourself as well 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't use Daum and never will but I'm assuming it's using SDL 1.2.14, 1.2.15. If so the latest ver of Windows 10 broke it. For SDL 1.2 and SDL 2. I believe SDL 2 has a fix but no one backported it to SDL 1.2. Due to the mouse changes in SDL 1.2.14 the update breaks SDL 1.2 too. SDL 1.2.13 works fine.

Frankly looking at the code there doesn't seem to be any point in using the updated mouse code from SDL 1.2.14 so in my guide I'm likely going to revert back to the SDL 1.2.13 mouse code in SDL 1.2.15.

My current guide is geared toward vanilla but eventually I'd like to have instructions for a kitchen sink build with all the crap thrown in.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by owyn_merrilin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

There is a Retroarch core, but be warned it doesn't have the capability to use max cycles and it's a bit hard to work with.

You could use guilokza's d3d patch and apply it to svn dosbox yourself as well 😀

Ah, thanks, I knew about the Retroarch core, but I was under the impression that the retroarch hotkeys conflicted with standard DOS commands (like, hitting escape to bring up the menu standard) and it wasn't really usable. I guess that should be something I can remap, though. And yeah, learning how to do it myself is likely to be the real solution in the long term.

DosFreak wrote:

I don't use Daum and never will but I'm assuming it's using SDL 1.2.14, 1.2.15. If so the latest ver of Windows 10 broke it. For SDL 1.2 and SDL 2. I believe SDL 2 has a fix but no one backported it to SDL 1.2. Due to the mouse changes in SDL 1.2.14 the update breaks SDL 1.2 too. SDL 1.2.13 works fine.

Frankly looking at the code there doesn't seem to be any point in using the updated mouse code from SDL 1.2.14 so in my guide I'm likely going to revert back to the SDL 1.2.13 mouse code in SDL 1.2.15.

My current guide is geared toward vanilla but eventually I'd like to have instructions for a kitchen sink build with all the crap thrown in.

That lines up with what I've been able to gather, it's using some SDL 1.x variant that was broken by a Windows 10 update. I guess I should start reading your guide, the way you guys are talking about this has me thinking it's less painful than I was afraid. I am a senior in a CE program, so it's not like I've never built anything before, but the only projects comparable in scale to DosBox I've ever built have been Linux builds for the Raspberry Pi, and in those cases I didn't have to manually pull in any changes to the source, the devs provided makefiles with a front end and options for pretty much whatever I might have wanted.

Reply 4 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Last time I checked that required some header/include files from Microsoft, but given their ongoing project of expunging 'outdated' support material, those MS downloads haven't been available for a while 🙁

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could ReactOS headers work as subsitutes? They're sometimes a useful resource for avoiding the MS burden (like their wspiapi.h for Win95-compatible Winsock2 headers for GCC without falling back to strict-usage SDK stuff)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps? don't know much about the state of Direct3D support in ReactOS... might give it a go, but it's deep in my backlog unless someone else feels like checking it out 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]