VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen a few threads lately of people trying to use DOSBox to run something other than a game, and it's kind of got me thinking:

Out of curiosity, what is the actual difference between an emulator intended to run games and one intended to run traditional applications? Why wouldn't they be the same thing? Isn't it in the best interest of both targets to create an emulator that matches the original system as closely as possible?

Also, given the lengths to which a lot of games go to utilize the IBM PC compatible hardware to the absolute limit of what it can do, why wouldn't it be much easier for DOSBox to run the average application than the average game?

So why is it always recommended to use something other than DOSBox for normal applications?

There is something I'm missing here, I just know it.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Define original system, average application, normal application and average game when it comes to DOS programs from the 80's to the late 90's and all of the tons of hardware they would run on.

There are already 5 quadrillion threads about it but the best reason is If something does a little bit of everything then more than likely it will suck at everything.

Name one emulator that is close to DOSBox compatibility. There is only one other one and most people don't use it for DOS gaming and when they do they are still discovering bugs. The people that spout off VPC,VirtualBox,Vmware,QEMU for DOS gaming only care about a handful of games.

When developer(s) program they have specific goals on what to emulate and what to optimize depending on the emulator's intended target. Almost all virtualization and emulation programs are intended for applications. What I want to know is why don't people stop pestering DOSBox for not supporting applications instead of annoying all the other emulator developers on not supporting applications properly. Most likely they are ignoring these requests since there is no money in it. A home user should move their data out of DBASE,Wordperfect, Wordstar, etc. A company should do the same with their proprietary applications and data. Windows 95+ has been around for 24 years so there is no excuse.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Out of curiosity, what is the actual difference between an emulator intended to run games and one intended to run traditional applications? Why wouldn't they be the same thing? Isn't it in the best interest of both targets to create an emulator that matches the original system as closely as possible?

1) Good emulation of specific hardware (especially sound cards) vs a full implementation of MS-DOS.
2) No, games don't need full DOS, a word processor doesn't need AWE32 support.
3) Interests of who? The people make DOSBOX make it because they wanted to play games. The writers of FreeDOS wanted to run business software. Supporting things that don't support your goals is not in your interests, given the amount of work involved.