VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by captainmullet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Not had this problem with previous installs, and I did some searching but came up short. It's also hard to effectively search for 'win' in reference to a program that allows one to use old 'win'dows software.

My issue is that every time I type a command, DOSBox puts 'win' before it, so the command is not recognized.

Example - I type SETUP.EXE, but what executes is:

win SETUP.EXE

Which does nothing. I haven't changed any configuration on it - I just downloaded and installed. Am I missing something obvious? It does the same thing with TXT files, or really anything I try to do. I was able to mount CD drives and a C: drive just fine, but can't actually run anything.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• dospic.png
    Filename
    dospic.png
    File size
    12.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This is because SETUP.EXE is a Windows program, not a DOS program. DOS programs are usually installed with INSTALL.COM/EXE/BAT, but not always.

If you own a license for Windows 3, it is possible to install and run it in DOSBox. See the guides section of the form for help with that, if needed.

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Some DOS games have a SETUP.EXE for options, although in some cases it's named CONFIG.EXE or whatever else; however, those won't try to start up Windows. Also, the OP mentioned installing specifically, not configuring options.