VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Thunderforge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I open DOSBox 0.74 (the latest stable version) on my system running macOS 10.3.4, I get the following warning:

DOSBox 32-bit Mac.png
Filename
DOSBox 32-bit Mac.png
File size
120.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Clicking on the "Learn More…" button leads to this Apple support page explaining that 32-bit apps will not be supported in future versions of macOS, and that developers will need to update the app to be 64-bit compatible.

Will a 64-bit version of DOSBox be released in the near future? I'd hate to not be able to play my favorite DOS games when Apple drops support for 32-bit software.

Reply 1 of 6, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a compiling guide for 64-bit DOSBox at BUILDING A X64 DOSBOX BINARY FOR MACOS SIERRA along with a comment by this very own member Dominus found in this VOGONS forum.

Klimawandel.

Reply 2 of 6, by Thunderforge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not a C++ programmer and don't know that I can follow those instructions. Is there a pre-built version somewhere (and can it be made available on the DOSBox website for the benefit of everyone)?

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't worry, the support for 32-Bit applications will be phased out slowly.
They started this process years ago, when they gave up older Macs with 32-Bit firmware (some people later "fixed" these Macs).

Sometimes, I wonder, why they made the step back from 64-Bit G5 to a 32-Bit Core2Duo (Yonah).
I just hope that in 2020, they will not do the same when (if) they switch over to ARM.. But that's another story.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use my SVN built

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Use my SVN built

I would take this official. Thank you very much for your SVN built, linked in the bottom of your postings.

Klimawandel.

Reply 6 of 6, by Thunderforge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IIGS_User wrote:
Dominus wrote:

Use my SVN built

I would take this official. Thank you very much for your SVN built, linked in the bottom of your postings.

Are you saying that the SVN built will become an official release (0.75 or whatever)? That would be great! That way people can get a 64-bit Mac version from the main site.

If not, then sorry for the misunderstanding.