VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clocknova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't seem to get the OSX version of DOSBox to recognize the config file. I managed to get DOSBox to output a config file, which I named 'dosbox.conf'. It placed this file in the root directory of my hard drive. But DOSBox still runs with the default settings, and ignores any changes I make to the config file. I've tried moving the file to other locations, such as the DOSBox folder itself, to no avail. Can someone tell me where the config file needs to be?

Reply 1 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I'm note sure, but I think the Unix/Linux/OSX versions of DOSBox assumes a different name for the config-file. Something with an initial dot - like .dosbox - in your home directory.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Ah yes - here it is. You did look in the README-file didn't you?

DOSBox will if no configfile is specified with the -conf switch look in the
current directory for dosbox.conf. Then it will look for ~/.dosboxrc (linux),
~\dosbox.conf (win32) or "~/Library/Preferences/DOSBox Preferences" (MACOSX).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 4, by clocknova

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read the 'readme' file that came with the download, and that passage is not included within it.

I managed to correct the problem, somehow, by downloading another version of DOSBox that is a complete OSX binary. That version read the config file in the DOSBox folder. Thanks for your help, though.

Reply 4 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

just create a configfile
config -writeconf dosbox.conf

dosbox doesn't come with a configfile.
it only comes one on win32 as people who use that OS tend to read the documentation even less.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!