VOGONS

Common searches

cycles = max

Topic actions

First post, by nikiniki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a way to know when cycles is set to max?

Reply 3 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I answered your question : Is there a way to know when cycles is set to max?

with regards to what you probably wanted to know. No, there is no way for you to know the value that is being used. (It changes at least 4 times a second anyway)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 11, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nikiniki wrote:

Is there a way to know when cycles is set to max?

What about the cycles command? My system has cycles set to 70000 in the setup.
cycles
then prints 70000. If I do
cycles max
then
cycles
prints max. If I do
cycles 70000
then
cycles
prints 70000 again.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 6 of 11, by nikiniki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I misspelled the question. Sorry

My question is how many cycles when I set to max?

Changing cycles to 70000 or max won't tell me how many cycles when I set cycles to max.

The dosbox manual says if you set cycles higher than the computer can run, dosbox will run slower.

I'd like to know how many cycles in dosbox my computer can handle.

Reply 7 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on the application you run in DOSBox. If you set to max then it will not set cycles to higher than your computer can support so you're good.
If your application is still running too slow then you need to upgrade your processor.

There's no point in showing the value to a regular user since it would be pointless.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 11, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Depends on the application you run in DOSBox. If you set to max then it will not set cycles to higher than your computer can support so you're good.
If your application is still running too slow then you need to upgrade your processor.

There's no point in showing the value to a regular user since it would be pointless.

i occasionally have more than one DOSBox session running. It would be useful then.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 9 of 11, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I determined the best cycles setting on my system by iteration and put that value (70000) in my DOSBox config file. I have been running DOSBox like this for a couple years now.

Given the above discussion, I tried setting cycles to max instead. I then restarted DOSBox, and the result was that DOSBox locked up. When I reverted the change, DOSBox worked as usual. What is going on?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 10 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Which OS ?

running multiple instances of DOSBox should not really be a problem, given that most systems nowadays are multicored and each dosbox process would use 1.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 11, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Which OS ?

running multiple instances of DOSBox should not really be a problem, given that most systems nowadays are multicored and each dosbox process would use 1.

Windows 7.

I do run multiple instances of DOSBox from time to time at 70000 cycles. There is some slowdown, but I live with it. (Video playing then can stutter.)

Starting up DOSBox with cycles=max in the config file hung up. Setting cycles to max after DOSBox has started gives no trouble. Puzzling.

I am running this version of DOSBox:
DOSBox_Megabuild6-win32-installer.exe
2015-06-08
DOSBox Megabuild with parallel printer support
downloaded from http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/index.html

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko