VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody!

First let me say "I LOVE DOSBOX!" I'm using it for years with 150+ antique astronomy programs, oldest from 1985, and everything works.
E.g.: I'm more or less familiar with the Box. On the other hand I'm a networking dummie...

To my recent "project": I want to surf the www with Win3.11.

I'm running Dosbox under WinXP, going online via Wifi. In Doxbos runs Win 3.11 with installed TCP/IP and different Browsers with Dialup functionality for a modem (even tried Trumpet). Win 3.11 says that it detects a modem (must be my correct conf-setting = serial1:modem), the Dosbox IPXserver has my computers IP and is running. At this point nothing more happens. When dialing some random-number, like 0-1234, the emulated modem tries to get a line and returns "no carrier". I tried every possible setting, fiddled around for hours, overselpt it, ... not a single bit from the www. I'm stuck.

What can I do?
Thanks for some wise advise.
Jens

P.S: (maybe stupid) Dosbox emulates a modem, but it detects and uses my "real" Wifi, does it?
Do I have to install a non-existing dummy-hardware modem (any? which?) in Win3.11, too? I want to set-up the old Windows as close to the original as possible, e.g. without anything younger than ... say 1995 = without 32bit or NT software...

Last edited by Jens on 2018-06-04, 04:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's been 20 years since I did it, rusty memory, but had wfwg 3.11 networked with win 95. Used microsofts TCP/IP and the winsock that came with the IE 2 or 3 dialler. I remember it always popped up the dialler first though, and I think I just cancelled it and it would continue through the wired connection.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If dosbox can emulate a nic then install Windows for Workgroups 3.11 , nic drivers and then the tcp/ip package and you'll be online without modems or dialers. At least that's how it works with real hardware...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 10, by Jens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your replys. As usual, A leads to B... One more thing I just found out:

To start a network, Win3.11 needs to have this loaded by CONFIG.SYS when booting DOS

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

As far as i know, Dosbox can not handle CONFIG.SYS. Hmmm...

Reply 5 of 10, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jens wrote:

As far as i know, Dosbox can not handle CONFIG.SYS. Hmmm...

LoadSys might be helpful. I didn't tried it with Ifshlp, but with most other drivers it is working.

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

even if that works, you still need a special Dosbox build...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Real dos in Dosbox is what booting an image means.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 10, by Jens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again!
After 2 months of intense thinking, i got an idea. The not-so-very-beautiful side of img is, that they are not flexible. Everything you change is gone with next reboot. So my guess:

I make an image of MS-DOS 6 including config.sys and autoexec.bat from WfW3.11.
Autoexec.bat batches only the necessary and ends at command.com.
All (other) WfW files are separately in an ordinary Dos-box folder.
Now Windows can be started manually. It 'thinks' that it runs on MS-DOS 6 and (the important point) IFSHLP.SYS is in memory.
So i got quasi a 50:50 system of 50% iso (static) and 50% regular Dos-Box = i can do what i want in WfW and save changes for later ...
Will that work?

Greetings Jens
P.S.: sorry for my lousy english, my german is even worse

Reply 10 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No that won't work as once you boot an image you cannot work with mounted folders anymore. But img files are not write protected from the getgo. Isos are not meant to be written to but img are fine to work with.