VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again! (going mad ... this is my 3rd posting in 24h!)

To get my Win 3.11 network running, i want to process the CONFIG.SYS bootfile, that is used by (real) MS-DOS. It must be loaded prior to anything else (like a keyboard or mouse driver). Unfortunately, Dosbos ignores the file and can only handle AUTOEXEC.BAT commands.

To set up a "real" MS-DOS under Dosbox (is that possible?) would'nt help, because i see no way to (physically) reboot from within Dosbox...
(hope that doesn' sound too weired).

Is there a way to make Dosbox handle system drivers like system drivers?

Thanks for your time!
Jens

Reply 1 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is possible to get DOSBox to boot real DOS (I've seen numerous references to it).

With that said, there are probably ways to achieve what you want without any of this. DOSBox does not process Config.sys, because there is no need. Everything that Config.sys is used for on a real DOS machine, DOSBox either handles internally via other means, or it simply does not apply.

If you share more details about what you want to do, you may be able to get working alternatives.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think you NEED to boot in DOSBox for getting WfW Networking to work.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found his other thread:
Online with WFW3.11

If it's true that WfW 3.11 physically requires IFSHLP.SYS in memory to allow networking, then you are probably right that booting real DOS inside DOSBox is the only way.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You actually even need a special build of Dosbox with some network driver built in. Libcap or so...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by Jens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

I found his other thread:
Online with WFW3.11

If it's true that WfW 3.11 physically requires IFSHLP.SYS in memory to allow networking, then you are probably right that booting real DOS inside DOSBox is the only way.

Yes, IFSHLP.SYS is the bad guy. "Your network adapter could not be started, please check etc..."
I've read about making images of a bootable Dos/Dosbox and uuuuuuuuhhh! Far too technical for me. So I'll better stay offline (ebay would'nt accept my extra-cool 1993 Mosaic-Browser anyway) ...
Thanks!
Jens