VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Domarius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running Windows XP and would like to run DosBox and pretend the computer is actually running DOS. Hence I want to have access to my real floppy drive from within DosBox.

In my [autoexec] section I have;
mount a A:\ -t floppy

When I start DosBox, the moment it tries to mount the floppy - with no disk in the drive, I get an error popup from Windows XP about there being no disk in the drive.

If I have a disk in the drive, DosBox can start without error. Is there a way to mount without a floppy disk in the A drive?

Reply 1 of 4, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

** THIS INFORMATION IS NOT CORRECT: I don't think so, DOS box isn't mounting the device its mounting the media. You will also need to tell dosbox when you change disks, it wont know just by physically changing the disks.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2018-06-17, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Shagittarius wrote:

You will also need to tell dosbox when you change disks, it wont know just by physically changing the disks.

That is not the case when mounting with the "-t floppy" switch. DOSBox resets its disk cache automatically for floppy mounts instead of the user having to press Ctrl-F4.

Reply 4 of 4, by Domarius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:
Shagittarius wrote:

You will also need to tell dosbox when you change disks, it wont know just by physically changing the disks.

That is not the case when mounting with the "-t floppy" switch. DOSBox resets its disk cache automatically for floppy mounts instead of the user having to press Ctrl-F4.

Thanks for replying man. Do you know if this might be a Windows XP specific issue? For now I'm working around it by leaving a blank disk in the drive and set the boot order of the floppy drive below the HDD in the BIOS, so that it doesn't try to boot off it when I turn on the PC.