VOGONS

Common searches

FM synthesis

Topic actions

First post, by Warrax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please, make a soundblaster FM synthesis in some next version, because some games doesnt support General Midi and adlib sounds so bad 🙁

Reply 1 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warrax wrote:

Please, make a soundblaster FM synthesis in some next version, because some games doesnt support General Midi and adlib sounds so bad 🙁

Errr... Can you explain what you mean? DOSbox emulates General Midi, Adlib and Soundblaster. "FM synthesis" is what the Adlib does to produce sound (and what DOSbox emulates). Maybe you mean that DOSbox should support wavetable synthesis like the SB32 has? Although DOSbox doesn't support SB32, it does support the Gravis Ultrasound, which has wavetable synthesis.

JAL

Reply 3 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zorbid wrote:

The next version will also support OPL3 FM synthesis (SB16), which is of course better than OPL2 (SB, Adlib).

It is, although not many games have used it, since programming information was very scarse at the time, and a little later the GUS emerged which had superior sound quality.

JAL

Reply 4 of 8, by Warrax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mean it e.g. Dungeon Master 2. It doesn't suport General MIdi, only FM synt. When I set adlib (OPL2), it sounds not very good. Yes, I meaned OPL-3. So it's good to hear it will be in next version. I wish you good luck dosbox team.

Reply 7 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zorbid wrote:

The next version will also support OPL3 FM synthesis (SB16), which is of course better than OPL2 (SB, Adlib).

OPL3 FM synthesis was used in games in Adlib Gold and all Pro Audio Spectrum cards (way before sb16 appeared).