VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Harald of Alsius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

Because of my visual impairment, I play most games using a memory hacking tool which allows me to adjust game speed by messing with CPU usage. After discovering that this method doesn't work with DOSBox, I tried using the Ctrl+F11\F12 commands, but those made the game (Star Wars: Dark Forces) quite unplayable, making it feel as if it would lag instead of giving me a "slow motion" effect. So my question is, how should I configure DOSBox in order to get a slower, yet playable experience?

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dark Forces runs in protected mode, so with default settings in DOSBox you'll be using the dynamic core and max cycles. Ctrl-F11/F12 with max cycles results in a percentage of max, which may not be ideal for your purpose.

You can use the core=normal setting in DOSBox, and this by itself will make the game slower than dynamic core.

You can use a cycles=20000 setting, or some other amount of fixed cycles, to control game speed. You may find that the game works more smoothly with a cycle limit, e.g. cycles=auto limit 20000, so experiment.

Restraining the CPU speed will definitely make the game run slower, but it won't necessarily maintain good playability.

Reply 2 of 2, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lowering cycles will only lower the fps and keyboard/mouse responsiveness witch will make the game even harder to play.

But you can slow the game down by rising the cycles above the amount your computer can handle.