VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Experts!

I got several antique versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator running under DOSBox. MSFS 1.00 and 1.05 make problems, as the screen freezes, when the vector-landscape is beeing generated. The upper half is garbeled with random dots, whereas the instrument-panel is still readable ... = Strg+f9.

At last i found out that this goes only for DosBox 0.74. When using 0.73 or 0.72 instead, everything is fine (identical .conf-file). Must have something to do with either memory-management or graphics... My 0.73 shows window-title 0.73_sid. What is _sid? (Is that relevant?)

Questions: Is there a major change in DoxBox 0.74? Or is there simply a new switch and/or a different default-setting in 0.74, that i did'nt consider, e.g. have to change, set, toggle or ... ?

Thanks in advance for a clever hint!

Jens

Reply 1 of 1, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It is a difference between CPU versions.
MSFS rely on very old behaviour of the division operation (only present in very ancient CPU's)
Newer cpus have different behaviour for that instruction.

Fun fact. The sky is garbled with 0.73 in later MFS versions, this is MFS relying on the newer cpu behaviour. (hence it is correct in 0.74 and broken in 0.73)

There is not much you can do, aside from using 0.73 with MSFS 1.00 and MSFS 1.05

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!