VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vladimir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I'm having quite some trouble playing games that require keyboard controls: While fullscreen, keyboard stops registering a long keypress after I use another key. pe: in Alone in the Dark, if I press "up" to move forward and I press left or right to correct the movement, the up key stops being registered and the character suddendly stops, forcing me to remove my finger from the up button and pressing it again. Same in other games. If I am playing a racing game, as soon as press the brakes or direction keys, it'll stop accelerating unless I depress and press up again.

If I use DosBox in windowed mode, I don't seem to have any trouble with the Keyboard. I am using Gentoo, so DosBox is compiled from source. I activated glide and opengl support, there was no option for SDL, but I am quite certain it compiled against SDL2

As I am here: Are there any plans for a new version? To be fair the aging 0.74 is giving recently many problems... I was unable to use core=dynamic up to the last kernel and mesa update, and under freeBSD some games just won' t work at all.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Vladimir on 2018-07-27, 23:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use the latest source not 0.74! And SDL could very well be the culprit as unchanged DOSBox 0.74 compiles against SDL1.2x and that is definitely showing its age.
Also, glide? Again 0.74 doesn't have any glide support, nor does the current source code.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by Vladimir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Use the latest source not 0.74! And SDL could very well be the culprit as unchanged DOSBox 0.74 compiles against SDL1.2x and that is definitely showing its age.
Also, glide? Again 0.74 doesn't have any glide support, nor does the current source code.

I tried that. To be fair, when I install from repositories it says it is "dosbox SVN", but the source code tells 0.74, alas the confussion.

I also think it is a problem from SDL, but I tried to compile it against SDL2 and I had the exact same problem I had a couple of years ago on Arch: it will work fine on windowed mode, but fullscreen I only get a black screen. Considering that at least with SDL 1.2 I can fullscreen the game even if I get wrong scancodes for keyboard, SDL2 is a downgrade. Specially considering this is a totally new bug I never experienced before, as it worked fine just a week ago.

ps; I tried it on a different computer, and same thing happens.

Reply 3 of 5, by Vladimir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vladimir wrote:
I tried that. To be fair, when I install from repositories it says it is "dosbox SVN", but the source code tells 0.74, alas the […]
Show full quote
Dominus wrote:

I tried that. To be fair, when I install from repositories it says it is "dosbox SVN", but the source code tells 0.74, alas the confussion.

I also think it is a problem from SDL, but I tried to compile it against SDL2 and I had the exact same problem I had a couple of years ago on Arch: it will work fine on windowed mode, but fullscreen I only get a black screen. Considering that at least with SDL 1.2 I can fullscreen the game even if I get wrong scancodes for keyboard, SDL2 is a downgrade. Specially considering this is a totally new bug I never experienced before, as it worked fine just a week ago.

ps; I tried it on a different computer, and same thing happens.

I tinkered with the config file this time, and I found out that setting fullscreen resolution to "desktop" solves the problem. Any other value makes the screen to go black and to become unresponsive to any input from keyboard and mouse. I think there is a bug in there, but at least games become playable with sdl2 AND the resolution set to desktop. Hopefully that would futureproof DosBox for some years! I still don't know why SDL 1.2 stopped working without upgrading DosBox tho

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Normal DOSBox will NOT compile against SDL2. Without Ny...'s patch it just won't. You are still using SDL1.2x. The function calls changed, so it is not as easy as you make it out to be "compiling against SDL2"

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 5, by Vladimir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Normal DOSBox will NOT compile against SDL2. Without Ny...'s patch it just won't. You are still using SDL1.2x. The function calls changed, so it is not as easy as you make it out to be "compiling against SDL2"

True, when I downloaded the source code I failed to see any "libsdl2" option or prefix inside the configure file. I ended up adding a repository called "ixit". I use Gentoo, so all packages I have installed compile from source, but you can pass options at compile time to enable functionality and patches if you want to. This is how I had glide support, pe. the ixit version for dosbox just adds a flag to enable the usage of sdl2 for dosbox.