VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Goblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I love this program. But I just can't seem to get my favorite game working 100%. The programs is great.

I found a download of MS-DOS on Microsoft's website. I am currently running an XP. I haven't tried it because I got the game working decently with DOSBox, but would there be a problem downloading this while using XP?

Reply 1 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First, if you are running WinXP, you will have to boot MS-DOS from floppy or CD and If you are using NTFS partitions, MS-DOS won't be able to see them. And the more important thing, you won't be able to run DOSBox under pure MS-DOS because it's a native Windows/Linux/Mac application. There is no DOSBox for MS-DOS. The bright side is there are some sound card emulators (mostly SB) for MS-DOS yet, but don't get too excited about it. Most of them suck and are a pain in the butt to run.

Reply 2 of 6, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Warning!!

MSDOS cleans the partiton table when you install it. It means that you will lose all the data that's on your hard disk.

Furthermore, there are many problems with running old DOS gzmes on a new computer, even if you run it in MAS-DOS:
- You 'll have to use moslo to slow down the computer for the badly timed games
- You'll need to find DOS drivers for your sound card. If your sound card is a few years old, you have a chance to find them, there aren't DOS drivers for recent cards anymore.
- USB mices don't work in DOS (dunno about USB keyboards)

Furthermore, AFAIK, MSDOS is still copyrighted. Downloading it is illegal.
You can try FreeDOS.

The bright side is there are some sound card emulators (mostly SB) for MS-DOS yet, but don't get too excited about it. Most of them suck and are a pain in the butt to run.

I never heard of SB emulators for DOS, could you tell me more about it ?